Originally Posted by Anonymous
Then why do all his teams have the biggest rosters? Must be something right. It still shocks me that parents put their kids on a team with more than 6 attack and 9 middies.

A: Ummmm... parents caught up in chasing an elusive idea that by being on THAT team, their boys will ALL somehow become D I commits and get scholarships? And the organizations parallel recognition that they can milk a half dozen more fees for each grade's teams? It's really not too hard to figure this out if you follow youth lacrosse, even casually.

Most parents do not understand the recruiting process. Your son needs to be seen actually playing on the field. Mine was recruited fall of sophomore year. He was on a solid travel team, not top two. Received far more interest from Coaches than the number 5,6,7 or 8th attack on those top teams. He was the "guy" the Coaches saw against good competition. It also allowed him to really gain confidence. Went on to be an All-star at Top Showcases. Never would have even been given the invite if on top two teams on LI. He would have multiple goal games in front of Coaches, received interest up and down the spectrum in D1. Had many options and chose a school that was best fit for him. Moral of the story is, better to be a starter on a slightly lesser Travel Team, than be buried on the bench with a top squad. If you pay attention, you'll notice only the top 10 kids get the plum offers. Same with the lesser team... Be realistic, if he's not good enough, or politically connected enough to crack the starting line up for one of the top two teams, he's probably not going to be seen by Duke or UNC. Starting and performing on the lesser team will get you looks and interest and calls from some pretty nice schools. But hey, if having your son on the top team is what it's all about, then stay there.

Which D3 school is your son going to?