Originally Posted by Anonymous
YES! Particularly that last line. Don't get caught up in the hype.

We love our kids so much and generally think so much of them that we let our own aspirations and competitiveness limit our vision sometimes. It is very hard to be unbiased or objective about your kids.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is my third time through the process. The best advice I can give is to find a program that you feel will help your son develop and be the best he can, and that treats him and you with respect (not easy). Remember why you are doing this. Not everyone is going to play at Duke or Maryland, so keep that in mind. Be realistic with your sons abilities and goals. In order to play in college you don't need to be on the "best" club or go to the "best" tournament. There are some great d2 and d3 schools where your son can play lax and get a good education. Be realistic and honest with yourself. Don't get caught up in the hype.

I've been through this process twice and having realistic expectations has always served us well. I was surprised when my oldest was courted by three or four top 20 D1 schools and committed to one of them. I'm hoping my second child finds a school he loves and can play....SUNY, D2, D3 whatever. Kids can have a great experience regardless of the division the team plays in. In fact, I know of far more kids unhappy with their D1 experience than kids unhappy with D2 or D3.