Originally Posted by Anonymous
These posts bashing any college other than IVY, Duke, Stanford, etc are ridiculous. You get out of college what you put in to it. I would sign up right now for my kids to play at Stony Brook, Albany, Hofstra, etc. to play a sport, get some money, and a quality education. I think this college bashing and elitism is ***** stupid. My kids aren't going to any of the elite colleges and I am confident they will be all right after. They might even have to go to Nassau CC and take a look at their options after that and I am ok with that. I know they are not the cream of the crop players or students, but they are pretty good on the field and classroom. Success doesn't start or end with the elite colleges there is a place for everyone. You are lucky if your kid is one of the 1%. Best of luck to you and your daughter but I am tied of hearing the bashing of schools. People sound like an elitist snob when I hear "it is only" Hofstra, Stony Brook, Elon.

Smart, hard-working and talented kids are now Elitist and Snobish. How about we celebrate all of the kids? Agree with you on that. But in order to do that we don't need to diminish other's accomplishments. You are right, it is a great accomplishment for kids to go play lax and get an education at Hofstra, Stony Brook or Elon. They will do well there and afterwards if they work hard and will get out of it what they put in. I think you will also agree that a kid going to one of the schools you first mentioned (Ivy, Duke Stanford etc.) has accomplished through high school a higher level of academic success and in some cases higher level of lax success. They likely worked harder and got out of it what they put in. It is what is. Does not mean they will automatically have a more successful career or a happier life. I have athletes and non-athletes as kids. They have had different levels of academic success and different levels of success with their extra curricular activities. It has shaped their options for college. I have three that have been through it and two more to go. I am proud of all of them and think (maybe hope) they will all find their path in life and make a positive contribution to society. I wish the same for your children.

I agree with most of what you said, however saying they likely worked harder and got out of it what they put in may not always be the case. Not everyone has the same talent level to start.

true. agree.