Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a newbie parent to the tryout scene. I did my best to try and showup to see how the tryouts are run by different clubs and speak to some of the people in charge. I really appreciate the members on the boards with their input. My goal was to find a club for my daughter for next year when she is in fourth grade. What I have seen is really not many girls trying out for fourth grade and that it is a money grab more than a tryout. If you have only 20 girls trying out how can they not make the team ? Some parents said better off taking the travel money and spending it on a vacation when they are this young. I can see why. The main reason that I wanted my daughter in a travel program was to get the extra touches that a PAL team couldn't necessarily give her. We usually skipped most lax practices because of the basic training that she gets. She has already mastered the skills that most girls are just learning. She loves lax so it's hard to see when she is not having fun at practice. With that being said has anyone found a club that allows your kids to train with them without being a part of the team. My daughter plays multiple sports so I wouldn't mind just practicing and playing PAL lax at her current age. I just want her to have fun and get better. Thanks in advance for any insight.

When my daughter was in 4th grade we had her tryout for a 5th grade team and she played up for that year and had a great time.