I have a 2017 D1 commit. My other sons who are older also played lacrosse, but didn't have the interest to play at the same level and moved onto other activities. Of the 15 or so D1 recruits we have seen over the years, only one was a standout at a young age, and my boys didn't start to play until 3rd or 4th grade. The majority of the kids we know who were recruited started to peak in 7th and 8th grade, some because of advanced puberty (which unfortunately for players, and eventually coaches, is a factor in early recruiting, and some coaches will regret picking some of those kids). Others who were not necessarily larger just got better because the had to work harder and developed speed and IQ.

On every one of my kid's teams the "best" kid on their youth teams from grades 3-6 ended up being just okay, and none played in college so far. At least two of those kids were, in my opinion harmed by over zealous dads.

I would say this, avoid teams with dad coaches who are obsessed with their own sons at the expense of the team, especially if your kid plays on the same side of the field. The exception would be if the coach's kid is a goalie or fogo which is fine. Get a good coach who develops THE WHOLE TEAM. If this isn't happening, there will be team drama, which wastes time and energy and players won't have to get better to keep up.

Let your son play and have fun. Skip the expensive clinics and bring him and his buddies along with a bucket of balls to the local high school to play 3x3 WHILE YOU RUN THE TRACK, or set up a net in the back yard. Focus on school, and other sports. If he is going to be a great player, it will be a result of his drive. My son going D1 is less talented than one of my other sons, but he has drive and wants to work at it. The other son has other passions, but lax isn't one, he had fun playing but no interest in working out or shooting 100 balls into a net at a time, and that is fine too. He's accomplished at other activities.

Understand the realities of college lacrosse. Typically, D1 players get between 20-20%, at a (today) $50-60K/yr school. Financially academic merit scholarships will go farther than lax, so make sure grades are important. Some schools offer no athletic scholarships. The only "full ride" for lax players are the service academies, but your son will need to meet the other requirements and serve in the military.