Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My daughter is a High School Jr who plays on LI and in my opinion the girls are taught to play a very frenetic style of lacrosse. They are taught to double and triple in the midfield zone whenever possible and make their opponents as uncomfortable as possible with stick checks and hard riding. I believe this to be a style of play that is employed by all of the top clubs in NY and NJ. I believe That the top teams in the Md and VA play a more physical stay at home type of defense. But based on the amount of bumps and bruises my daughter has sustained against teams like M&D, Skywalkers,Capitol, etc.. neither style is more thuggish than the other

Some of the nastiest individual players I have seen are from these Maryland teams. I have seen a very large amount of games from any and all the clubs mentioned here, and every team is different. What I see is a few girls playing harder than some people appreciate, sprinkled throughout all the teams. Whoever is slinging beautiful game, poetry in motion, our team, club, state, region is above this....is blind to themselves.

Want to see physical, nasty games, look for clubs that pull from the same schools/geographic area. Familiarity breeds contempt. These kids have been going head to head spring, summer, winter and fall since they were in elementary school. My girls play/played for M&D, games against Hero's and Skywalkers are more likely to get physical and chippy than any game against teams from the island. I've found M&D/YJ games to be pretty clean and among the most fun games to watch.