Originally Posted by Anonymous
i have a question about early verbal commits - both my daughters play lacrosse and are not in high school yet - all i keep hearing is about a girl in our town who committed to a very large d1 school in the 10 grade. i hear she is getting a full ride from the school she committed to. i find this hard to believe that a school will guarantee a kid in the 10th grade a full scholarship since i am told that d1 schools only have 12 scholarships per team. the school she is going to has 45 girls on the team and i am told they recruit almost a full team each year. so how dose this really work - not everyone gets a full free ride. how does the college determine how much scholarship money she will get and when are they told? thanks for everyone's help.

The myth of the full ride. People on here swear they exist, and maybe some do but I will guarantee you there are far fewer actual full rides than parents, club/school coaches, and clubs claim. There's no way of knowing other than someone's word, you see what I mean.

Also remember that peoples' definition of full ride may differ. To some, it means tuition, to other it means tuition, room, board and books, and all iterations in between.

There was here on BOTC a thread on another forum about this, not sure if it still exists, but if you go to the sister site Back of the Net you can surely find many discussions about college recruiting including funding and NCAA guidelines.