Originally Posted by Anonymous
i have a question about early verbal commits - both my daughters play lacrosse and are not in high school yet - all i keep hearing is about a girl in our town who committed to a very large d1 school in the 10 grade. i hear she is getting a full ride from the school she committed to. i find this hard to believe that a school will guarantee a kid in the 10th grade a full scholarship since i am told that d1 schools only have 12 scholarships per team. the school she is going to has 45 girls on the team and i am told they recruit almost a full team each year. so how dose this really work - not everyone gets a full free ride. how does the college determine how much scholarship money she will get and when are they told? thanks for everyone's help.

College coaches have pretty good idea who will be on their team in 2-3 years from now. At least as far as the Blue Chip recruits go. The coaches will commit scholarship money to the best of the best in 10th grade. Many good players who commit junior and early senior year still get financial packages that include athletic and academic money. So if your daughter isn't committed early don't stress too much there are still spots on teams for them to play. A coaches verbal commitment to an athlete is that verbal just as the athletes commitment is verbal. This means things can change. But top college coaches don't want a reputation of offering scholarship money and then not coming through with their commitment. That would hurt their ability to attract future recruits if word got out that the coach wasn't true to their word.