Originally Posted by Anonymous
I saw a parent already at our school with fundraising material in her hands talking to the school so I guess that's coming our way. "support our u19 player or..." who knows but I'm sure it will be negative. Those girls get a ton of gear but have to pay their own way to Scotland and the practice venues. OTOH, I feel it's not my problem. They knew this going in, and it's not up to the rest of us to fund their travel.

Thoughts?

That is what happens with amateur sports. Many amateur athletes must fundraise to support their endeavors. It's definitely not limited to lacrosse, but it is this way across the board in most other sports. Some are worse.

But with such a prestigious team, I suspect that many people will het behind these girls. I know I would attend/support a fundraiser if one of those girls was from my town.

People aren't going out of their way to raise money for someone elses kid to play lax on team USA, it's really that simple. Also the reason there are so many 30 yr olds on the USA team is their ability to raise big chunks of money,money, money

People will if the kid is well liked, and a positive member of their community. One who volunteers her own time on various charitable endeavors. I know the community of one of the girls will fundraise for her if need be (we live in that community and this young lady is a great role model for our younger girls, and does a great deal for others, way beyond lacrosse). Not even sure that she will need any financial assistance though, but if she does we will get behind her.