BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 39 of 83 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 82 83
Re: Girls Spring 2014 High School Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Please advise. Looking at the policy of selective classification guidelines put forth by NYS. Is there any information, not opinion necessarily, out there that identifies what districts follow what policies. Is it the norm that most follow the current NYS policy or have some developed their own. If so, any insights as to why and what does the data show?

the standards are the standards defined by NYS(although they are old and have not been amended in a awhile). There are different standards and thresholds to reach in order to playing JV or varsity and are different for boys/girls.

Be warned each district is given the latitude to either allow MS to play up or not. That is a district policy. that is cut and dry. If they choose to allow students to play up they need to follow the standards. But as a standard a district can make their policy that the student athlete passes the Varsity level/standard/thresholds.

again the standard doesn't allow a parent to say a child is ready to play. This all starts from a coaches recommendation and the AD feeling that child is ready. The player needs to be at a certain physical maturation level. If either say they don't know; they don't have to invite a child to take the selection classification test.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please advise. Looking at the policy of selective classification guidelines put forth by NYS. Is there any information, not opinion necessarily, out there that identifies what districts follow what policies. Is it the norm that most follow the current NYS policy or have some developed their own. If so, any insights as to why and what does the data show?

the standards are the standards defined by NYS(although they are old and have not been amended in a awhile). There are different standards and thresholds to reach in order to playing JV or varsity and are different for boys/girls.

Be warned each district is given the latitude to either allow MS to play up or not. That is a district policy. that is cut and dry. If they choose to allow students to play up they need to follow the standards. But as a standard a district can make their policy that the student athlete passes the Varsity level/standard/thresholds.

again the standard doesn't allow a parent to say a child is ready to play. This all starts from a coaches recommendation and the AD feeling that child is ready. The player needs to be at a certain physical maturation level. If either say they don't know; they don't have to invite a child to take the selection classification test.

sorry I left off the link.
http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/pe/documents/scrivised2005.pdf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's bc Riverhead parents are freaking out and blocking younger better girls from playing up even though that is where readiness, skill and maturity level. Fortunate town to have a group of girls that are so dedicated and happy to be playing. Complete shame and sham that the school district does not acknowledge the talent have and provide an environment to nurture growth and programs.
Although I am in a neighboring district, my daughter plays these girls on a regular basis and they can definitely be impact players on at the least, a JV level team.
Thankfully my district has the forethought and responsibility to put the needs of the child first, not the needs of the parents.

It's the parents of 7th & 8th graders who have "needs" to live through the kids and think that because they can catch and throw that they belong on a HS team when most of them can barely hold their own against the better players in club lax in the same age - it's all good until the 75lb kid gets steamrolled and seriously hurt and the people start asking why they were on the field with kids twice there size

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's bc Riverhead parents are freaking out and blocking younger better girls from playing up even though that is where readiness, skill and maturity level. Fortunate town to have a group of girls that are so dedicated and happy to be playing. Complete shame and sham that the school district does not acknowledge the talent have and provide an environment to nurture growth and programs.
Although I am in a neighboring district, my daughter plays these girls on a regular basis and they can definitely be impact players on at the least, a JV level team.
Thankfully my district has the forethought and responsibility to put the needs of the child first, not the needs of the parents.

It's the parents of 7th & 8th graders who have "needs" to live through the kids and think that because they can catch and throw that they belong on a HS team when most of them can barely hold their own against the better players in club lax in the same age - it's all good until the 75lb kid gets steamrolled and seriously hurt and the people start asking why they were on the field with kids twice there size

I get that but I also see players twice the size of the older players and how they will make MS unfair for the competition. I also see parents of HS players feel threatened by these young girls. try to get along is the best advise. it does work.

my advise is, as parents we need to teach those young ones that yes they do know their place. They need to pitch in and clean up after the older girls. they must know there place

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love you bloated self important prophesiers. If a kid is good enough at any age they should play up. Many have gone on to great college careers. The parents are the problem. Shut up already!!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Played the group at a tourney over the summer at Heckzher. Coach was a tool who didn't even know rules. Girls were bullies who would get thumped at the Varsity level. Keep them playing age appropriate and let them mature, mom.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Played the group at a tourney over the summer at Heckzher. Coach was a tool who didn't even know rules. Girls were bullies who would get thumped at the Varsity level. Keep them playing age appropriate and let them mature, mom.
Let the 7th & 8th graders play middle school lacrosse, why do parents insist on getting their kids moved up? bragging rights? You have travel lacrosse for more competitive play. Let your daughter play MS with her classmates and neighbors and be a pre-teen, let her shine. She will have 4 years to play varsity.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let the 7th & 8th graders play middle school lacrosse, why do parents insist on getting their kids moved up? bragging rights? You have travel lacrosse for more competitive play. Let your daughter play MS with her classmates and neighbors and be a pre-teen, let her shine. She will have 4 years to play varsity.

The problem is the middle school competition and coaching is usually a complete waste of time in terms of improving in ones sport if that kid is even descent.My daughter was moved up and it was a great experience and in my opinion an advantage over the kids from districts that don't.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The problem is the middle school competition and coaching is usually a complete waste of time in terms of improving in ones sport if that kid is even descent.My daughter was moved up and it was a great experience and in my opinion an advantage over the kids from districts that don't.
Yes, I do agree with a few skilled 8th graders moving up, but district should cap the number or else the parents will think the whole grade (if they are good) should move up and stick together. I disagree with 7th graders on varsity, playing girls 5 and 6 years older is not OK, JV would be reasonable.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Yes, I do agree with a few skilled 8th graders moving up, but district should cap the number or else the parents will think the whole grade (if they are good) should move up and stick together. I disagree with 7th graders on varsity, playing girls 5 and 6 years older is not OK, JV would be reasonable."

You hear a lot of people express this opinion which just seems ridiculous. First off the NYS selection classification recommendations were written in conjunction with medical doctors , athletic directors, educators etc. over the course of years, why is it you feel you know better. If a kid is skilled enough, passes the physical requirements why draw an arbitrary line between 7th and 8th grade, there are plenty of 7th graders more mentally and physically mature than 8th graders.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good for you and your daughter. Unfortunately, you are the exception. Too many parents get caught up in the move to Varsity/JV. The girls get better playing, not sitting on the bench. They do not get the reps they need at Varsity practice unless they are in the top 14-15 field players.

Better to keep them playing at MS level, or JV level (as 9th grader) to keep stick in their hand. Also, keep them playing PAL or other competitive level to supplement their school lax.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In many districts kids have to wait their turn. Most Varsity coaches know what they have coming up in the system. Believe me if your daughter was that good she will be on the coaches radar. The Varsity coach will ask the AD to selectively classify a kid only when they know that that kid will get time on the field. Varsity Coaches are loyal to their upperclassmen. A good program sees the value in rewarding the players that are older and have earned the right to stand on the Varsity sideline. Most selectively classified kids should be 8th graders that get to play a year on JV. Unless your daughter is the next coming of SS then sit back and have her wait her turn.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Yes, I do agree with a few skilled 8th graders moving up, but district should cap the number or else the parents will think the whole grade (if they are good) should move up and stick together. I disagree with 7th graders on varsity, playing girls 5 and 6 years older is not OK, JV would be reasonable."

You hear a lot of people express this opinion which just seems ridiculous. First off the NYS selection classification recommendations were written in conjunction with medical doctors , athletic directors, educators etc. over the course of years, why is it you feel you know better. If a kid is skilled enough, passes the physical requirements why draw an arbitrary line between 7th and 8th grade, there are plenty of 7th graders more mentally and physically mature than 8th graders.

How long ago was the Selective Classification process last amended or ratified. I don't think anyone should be going off of that. Players from 2005 till now are drastically different. I am sure the study was done prior to that making it over 10 years old. You cant tell me sports has changed since.

The point many are making are two fold. 1). The exceptional athlete should be given the chance to tryout. 2). The athlete should not give the MS team an overt advantage over the competitors. Both keeping safety of the child and competitors in mind.

Knowing the process, I also think the tryout "probation" period should be longer than 3 days. Now if you are questioning the difference of a player making JV and varsity I would think the probation period isn't a question. Know as far as a player playing varsity isn't there a full month of practices/scrimmages to figure out if the player is Varsity worthy. The players practice ethic and skill should tell the coach where a player belongs.

Some districts have silly requirements if a player is pulled up. ive heard the pulled up player has to play half of the game. Why? If the pulled up player is skilled enough to be the next attack or defender in but not the starting. I see no reason that player misses the opportunity to play up nor do I see an older player losing time because of a silly rule

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In many districts kids have to wait their turn. Most Varsity coaches know what they have coming up in the system. Believe me if your daughter was that good she will be on the coaches radar. The Varsity coach will ask the AD to selectively classify a kid only when they know that that kid will get time on the field. Varsity Coaches are loyal to their upperclassmen. A good program sees the value in rewarding the players that are older and have earned the right to stand on the Varsity sideline. Most selectively classified kids should be 8th graders that get to play a year on JV. Unless your daughter is the next coming of SS then sit back and have her wait her turn.

Thats just idiotic, sit back and wait your turn because some kid is older. The opposite of what you are talking about happens all the time, kids that are juniors and seniors expect to be on the varsity and playing because of their age and if they know the younger kids will have to wait their turn they don't need to work hard. What do you tell the kid that is in 9th grade who is clearly better than an upperclassman , has worked harder than the upperclassman, "sit back and wait your turn". They don't do it in individual sports such as cross country, wrestling , because its obvious who the best players are , why do it in girls lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wish the process worked like that.......Our Varsity coach goes crazy for middle school girls who are on top club teams and brings them up, and has the upperclassman sit on the bench. They are not necessarily better players, but training them for the future.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL agree that MOST are aware, but SOME have no idea, no interest and are puppets of adults in community that pay the coach to run their "travel" team. why would they ever want to bring up the stronger, more skilled players that already play for A travel clubs that rate. There is no horizon for them with those younger players and their older "travel" team crumbles bc they younger ones would never consider that "travel" team coached by the hs coach as a viable option. It's just WEIrd

Earning the right is not an age, it is a skill set.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
when are the players in your district asked to take the test and receive the forms to be filled out; is there a defined time frame to pass the stations. Does it need to be done within 30 days of the start of the season or can it be done now.

I only ask this because it could help the player and parent realize the player is not ready. As many of the girls should surpass the benchmarks the test requires, if you cant as a 7th grader no big deal. You will know what is ahead of you and the let down will not be as grave.

If the test is given just before the season the let down is to much (then you say she was not ready emotionally - I say if an 11th grader doesn't make the team she is just as emotional so it is not maturity). if the test is given well before the start of the season the player has time to either do the station over (you are allowed to take the test over as many times as reasonable) or realize you wont pass a station and MS isn't going to be that bad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do any of you people really think a 12 yr old girl belongs in a varsity locker room with 18 yr old girls ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL agree that MOST are aware, but SOME have no idea, no interest and are puppets of adults in community that pay the coach to run their "travel" team. why would they ever want to bring up the stronger, more skilled players that already play for A travel clubs that rate. There is no horizon for them with those younger players and their older "travel" team crumbles bc they younger ones would never consider that "travel" team coached by the hs coach as a viable option. It's just WEIrd

Earning the right is not an age, it is a skill set.

Do you even read the unintelligible garbage you write before you hit submit??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do any of you people really think a 12 yr old girl belongs in a varsity locker room with 18 yr old girls ?

Why is this all about varisty. The players should tak ethe varosty test so if the team makes playoof she can came up (if she excelled on JV).

but to answer your question a 12yr old girl sure, any 12 yr old girl no. I am sure there are a few. I think the issue is a bit more sticky on the boys side.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thats just idiotic, sit back and wait your turn because some kid is older. The opposite of what you are talking about happens all the time, kids that are juniors and seniors expect to be on the varsity and playing because of their age and if they know the younger kids will have to wait their turn they don't need to work hard. What do you tell the kid that is in 9th grade who is clearly better than an upperclassman , has worked harder than the upperclassman, "sit back and wait your turn". They don't do it in individual sports such as cross country, wrestling , because its obvious who the best players are , why do it in girls lacrosse.

This conversation is about 7th graders playing up not a 9th grader. If the kid is in HS and is a standout they definitely deserve the spot on varsity.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are very strong districts with lots of quality girls playing lacrosse. They probably once started as a young team and grew the program from the bottom. The one district in question is trying to block younger girls from moving up just because older girls parents are crying the older girls will be displaced. The younger girls are better and have proven it multiple times. They play travel and put a lot of time into lacrosse. Parents of the older kids have formed a team and paid cash to varsity coach, excluding any younger girl from playing. Nobody is saying these kids are superstars or the next SS. They are just asking for a shot at JV. There is no coach in place in the middle school and parents just concerned middle school season would be lost time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are very strong districts with lots of quality girls playing lacrosse. They probably once started as a young team and grew the program from the bottom. The one district in question is trying to block younger girls from moving up just because older girls parents are crying the older girls will be displaced. The younger girls are better and have proven it multiple times. They play travel and put a lot of time into lacrosse. Parents of the older kids have formed a team and paid cash to varsity coach, excluding any younger girl from playing. Nobody is saying these kids are superstars or the next SS. They are just asking for a shot at JV. There is no coach in place in the middle school and parents just concerned middle school season would be lost time.

Fair enough if you ask me. I come from one of the better districts. Doing this also gives another girl the chance to play in MS. Take the star player/s off of the MS team and the others step up. This builds a program its called succession planning.

Many times the player doesn't see much of the games as Varsity but does participate in practices which are more controlled. For that star player it is a good move moving up to JV. Messhin with the girls two years older more like a 7th and a 9th grader. By the time that 7th is a sophomore and that 9th grader is a senior that team should have been together a few years and w

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice try but way too transparent , no middle school coach in place has nothing to do with it , it's about the egos of the parents involved , both older and younger kids parents . If the coach was the issue you would be demanding the school post looking for a qualified coach not complaining that you want your kids moved up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This conversation is about 7th graders playing up not a 9th grader. If the kid is in HS and is a standout they definitely deserve the spot on varsity.

Please when you use words like upperclassmen obviously your not just talking about 7 th graders . Wait your turn is just moronic attitude , if you are the more skilled player and give your varsity a better chance to win you should play period. What school do you people go to that you are so concerned with your 12 year old daughter being in contact with 18 year old girls .Have spoken to many many parents of kids who have been moved up and have yet to hear of any problems of the type you are talking about.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice try but way too transparent , no middle school coach in place has nothing to do with it , it's about the egos of the parents involved , both older and younger kids parents . If the coach was the issue you would be demanding the school post looking for a qualified coach not complaining that you want your kids moved up.

okay not from the district but are you kidding me. Post demanding for a qualified MS coach. Do you hear yourself? I hope you are not from that district. As we all know that "No Coach" isnt the main issue but you cant say it is not part of the equation. I am sure that has something to do with it. but no 7th grade parent is going to demand for a MS coach over trying to get their child in "the system" ego or not.

I also don't think this forum will serve your purposes well either

Just curious how many 7th grade girls are you talking about is this so transparent that it is one or two families or is it a team of girls.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please when you use words like upperclassmen obviously your not just talking about 7 th graders . Wait your turn is just moronic attitude , if you are the more skilled player and give your varsity a better chance to win you should play period. What school do you people go to that you are so concerned with your 12 year old daughter being in contact with 18 year old girls .Have spoken to many many parents of kids who have been moved up and have yet to hear of any problems of the type you are talking about. [/quote]

Are you kidding me ? " what school district do you people go to" . As a parent are you not concerned about what your 12 yr old daughter may see,or hear. Are your priorities that screwed up that you don't realize that " problems of that type" go on everywhere.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please when you use words like upperclassmen obviously your not just talking about 7 th graders . Wait your turn is just moronic attitude , if you are the more skilled player and give your varsity a better chance to win you should play period. What school do you people go to that you are so concerned with your 12 year old daughter being in contact with 18 year old girls .Have spoken to many many parents of kids who have been moved up and have yet to hear of any problems of the type you are talking about.

Are you kidding me ? " what school district do you people go to" . As a parent are you not concerned about what your 12 yr old daughter may see,or hear. Are your priorities that screwed up that you don't realize that " problems of that type" go on everywhere. [/quote]

Okay then if those problems happen everywhere I guess you would not let your kids ride school busses with upperclassman or be in band , or chorus etc. Again have never heard of any issues . Yes you keep an eye on your child and have discussions but in my school district the athletes are to a very large degree responsible mature girls.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know this is an issue in Riverhead and ESM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please the Riverhead parents are insane , the funny thing is they have had some very successful years in the 2020 age group but only after they started to have kids play from outside the district . They have never been successful as a town team only , ever. The only times that the Riverhead town team has won anything they had kids from other towns play with them but they then claim to be a top 2020 town team .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Also an issue at Connetquot, but then again that coach knows nothing

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please the Riverhead parents are insane , the funny thing is they have had some very successful years in the 2020 age group but only after they started to have kids play from outside the district . They have never been successful as a town team only , ever. The only times that the Riverhead town team has won anything they had kids from other towns play with them but they then claim to be a top 2020 town team .

sausage!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BOTH TRUE!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Isn't the Connetquot coach a YJ Coach?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is the issue at Connetquot? District not allowing MS girls to play?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Isn't the Connetquot coach a YJ Coach?

yes. that shows you that yj has some weak coaches too

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

News flash..... Many school districts do not have MS coaches in place. MS lacrosse/sports for that matter is a complete waste of time. Suck it up and watch little suzzie run around and dominate on the MS team and next year when she is in 8th grade she will get the call up for JV.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

News flash..... Many school districts do not have MS coaches in place. MS lacrosse/sports for that matter is a complete waste of time. Suck it up and watch little suzzie run around and dominate on the MS team and next year when she is in 8th grade she will get the call up for JV.
If your kid is putting in a lot of time on travel and outside leagues then playing M.S. ball is not a waste of time. As of now your 6th grade lacrosse daughter (that is what she is as of now) has not proven a thing and is not by any means deserving of a spot even on the M.S. team, let alone a chance to play J.V. or Var. How about she try out for M.S. first and if she is truly as dominate as you say she will lead her M.S. team past every other M.S. team in sec XI including all the girls she plays with on her age appropriate club team. If they can consistently dominate all other M.S. teams then they have earned the rite to be moved up. Until then you sound like a snobbish, a@#hole, Yellow Jacket drama queen

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is not always the parents. I have a 7th grader who I would say is very strong for her own age group. We were approached by the Varsity coach to see if we would be willing to have her take the test. We have never contacted him or reached out to him in anyway. We are not going letting her as we feel there is something to be said for "time & tenure". But we by no means initiated the request. So, in some cases it may not have been "crazy" parents.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do tell what school, im sure its not farmingdale, garden city, wantagh, manhassett, bayshore or any other top program

Page 39 of 83 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 82 83

Link Copied to Clipboard