BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts389,910
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 179 of 327 1 2 177 178 179 180 181 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Team 4??? Good luck with that. The only thing you will be getting for sure is a bill from YJ. If she is on team 4 she is at the bottom of the top 80 in her age group just on that club not to mention all the other clubs in that age group and the 4th team I on YJ isn't very good. I wouldn't get your hope up. Also team 4 won't get very much exposure.

Even on YJ 4th team that girl would be top 100 in her age group on the island. There are no other competitive clubs beside TG's and a 4th team YJ would make their 2nd team. At least there is movement in YJ. My daughter started on the 4th team, moved to the 3rd team her second year and played on the second last year. As girls develop their skills increase. Most girls who were great early top out at an early age and drop down. That's the toughest part for parents; recognizing that the sun is setting on their daughter's once promising lax career. All dreams of certain scholarships fade to black and they're left hoping she makes varsity by 10th grade.

4th YJ team - really? They get blown out by the first and 2nd teams of at least :4 other clubs on LI - some kids on 4th YJ teams can barely throw and catch - but their checks clear. And no wonder why the checks keep coming with those sorts of promises from CR. Hang in there keep sending checks - your daughter will do great.

The top 2 TG, Elevate and Liberty teams - yes all 6 of those teams would beat any 4th YJ team and there are other clubs as well but those are a given.

Watched 3rd team YJ beat TG 2nd team and place higher than TG black at national draw so you never know. If you beleive the original post that started this topic you are not very bright.

Watched a 2nd team TG beat the second team YJ and go to finals at national draw. You can't apply age group success across an entire club.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team 4??? Good luck with that. The only thing you will be getting for sure is a bill from YJ. If she is on team 4 she is at the bottom of the top 80 in her age group just on that club not to mention all the other clubs in that age group and the 4th team I on YJ isn't very good. I wouldn't get your hope up. Also team 4 won't get very much exposure.

Even on YJ 4th team that girl would be top 100 in her age group on the island. There are no other competitive clubs beside TG's and a 4th team YJ would make their 2nd team. At least there is movement in YJ. My daughter started on the 4th team, moved to the 3rd team her second year and played on the second last year. As girls develop their skills increase. Most girls who were great early top out at an early age and drop down. That's the toughest part for parents; recognizing that the sun is setting on their daughter's once promising lax career. All dreams of certain scholarships fade to black and they're left hoping she makes varsity by 10th grade.

4th YJ team - really? They get blown out by the first and 2nd teams of at least :4 other clubs on LI - some kids on 4th YJ teams can barely throw and catch - but their checks clear. And no wonder why the checks keep coming with those sorts of promises from CR. Hang in there keep sending checks - your daughter will do great.

The top 2 TG, Elevate and Liberty teams - yes all 6 of those teams would beat any 4th YJ team and there are other clubs as well but those are a given.

Watched 3rd team YJ beat TG 2nd team and place higher than TG black at national draw so you never know. If you beleive the original post that started this topic you are not very bright.

Watched a 2nd team TG beat the second team YJ and go to finals at national draw. You can't apply age group success across an entire club.

What age group

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2016 I believe

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2016 I believe

Everyone was talking about college commits and commits by team rank and then you all revert back to mine is bigger than yours because we beat you in an 8th grade tournament. YOU will be the ones going to PACE just to say you got some athletic money!

And next time please add in how many goals your kid scored in that big summer win because we all really care LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are over 100 women's D1 lax programs! There is a good chance if you are on team 2,3 or 4 that you can get athletic money. especially if you are the big fish in the small pond! There are team 4 kids going to Pace getting more $ than Team 1 kids going to Notre Dame, Duke etc..

And there is the problem kids going to Pace to play lacrosse with a $50,000 price tag where they let kids in with a 950 SAT. If your daughter EVER has the chance to go to Duke or ND throw her stick away and send her!!!

AMEN!!!!!
You Y.J. parents are an interesting breed, not all, but definitely the very vocal minority. You bash a school like Pace because you say you can get in with a 950, and you trumpet schools like N.U. and N.D that have very high price tags. Anyone that has been though recruiting in the last 2 years knows that a "full athletic ride" is a fantasy.
With that being said all I can think is this. You bash schools that you yourself couldn't get into, But send your kids to a high school with a bunch of kids that couldn't get the 950 needed for Pace. You justify it by saying my kid can excel in any school so you don't send them to a private school.
Chances are that when little Susie goes off to North Western with the kids from Maryland ( and we all know they go to private schools and prep schools) they tend to struggle with the academics along with the rigors of lacrosse, and fall behind, or are so happy to be away from overbearing parents that the cut loose and get in trouble. The end result is the same, after soph year they are no longer on the roster, or the playing time, along with the money has been cut to near nothing, and now your paying full tuition + room and board for the privilege of bragging to you yenta friends. Well good luck

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are over 100 women's D1 lax programs! There is a good chance if you are on team 2,3 or 4 that you can get athletic money. especially if you are the big fish in the small pond! There are team 4 kids going to Pace getting more $ than Team 1 kids going to Notre Dame, Duke etc..

And there is the problem kids going to Pace to play lacrosse with a $50,000 price tag where they let kids in with a 950 SAT. If your daughter EVER has the chance to go to Duke or ND throw her stick away and send her!!!

AMEN!!!!!
You Y.J. parents are an interesting breed, not all, but definitely the very vocal minority. You bash a school like Pace because you say you can get in with a 950, and you trumpet schools like N.U. and N.D that have very high price tags. Anyone that has been though recruiting in the last 2 years knows that a "full athletic ride" is a fantasy.
With that being said all I can think is this. You bash schools that you yourself couldn't get into, But send your kids to a high school with a bunch of kids that couldn't get the 950 needed for Pace. You justify it by saying my kid can excel in any school so you don't send them to a private school.
Chances are that when little Susie goes off to North Western with the kids from Maryland ( and we all know they go to private schools and prep schools) they tend to struggle with the academics along with the rigors of lacrosse, and fall behind, or are so happy to be away from overbearing parents that the cut loose and get in trouble. The end result is the same, after soph year they are no longer on the roster, or the playing time, along with the money has been cut to near nothing, and now your paying full tuition + room and board for the privilege of bragging to you yenta friends. Well good luck

You are a moron. How do you know the person bashing pace is YJ , more likely TG.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

AMEN!!!!!

You are a moron. How do you know the person bashing pace is YJ , more likely TG.

Which girl goes to the top of the resume pile, a Northwestern grad, a ND grad, a Duke grad or a Pace grad that played lacrosse?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The grad that impresses the interviewer the most, that has a degree in the field in witch the interview was for.If you think a piece of paper with a school name on it is going to help your kid get a job your fooling yourself. there are lots of "good schools" that have grads waiting tables while the Pace grad works for I.B.M.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or the grad that played lacrosse with the interviewers daughter, or the grad from the alma matter of the company owner etc.. Great degree helps but is not everything sometimes its who you know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2020 blue is going to be the strongest team now that the best player on LI is coming over from TG. Now the drama will start with at least 4 blue players getting bumped to yellow and 4 more on the bottom of blue seeing their minutes go to the new kids.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try 6 to 7

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]2020 blue is going to be the strongest team now that the best player on LI is coming over from TG. Now the drama will start with at least 4 blue players getting bumped to yellow and 4 more on the bottom of blue seeing their minutes go to the new

The best player on Long Island is still on TG , the best player you are talking about has lost several times to her TG teammates when the team goes into tournaments divided.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try 6 to 7

Getting bumped down or coming over?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2020 blue is going to be the strongest team now that the best player on LI is coming over from TG. Now the drama will start with at least 4 blue players getting bumped to yellow and 4 more on the bottom of blue seeing their minutes go to the new kids.

If only it was that easy. The bottom 4, 5, or whatever, are not necessarily the girls that will get bumped. This team is LOADED with F&F. There are certain girls, that although clearly on the bottom, are going nowhere.

From a favorite town...check
Have older sister on a blue team...check
pay the coach for private training...check
relative of a coach...check

There will be some very good girls left in this wake. And I know some YJ Loyalists will say it isn't so, but everyone else knows the truth. Good Luck 2020...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The grad that impresses the interviewer the most, that has a degree in the field in witch the interview was for.If you think a piece of paper with a school name on it is going to help your kid get a job your fooling yourself. there are lots of "good schools" that have grads waiting tables while the Pace grad works for I.B.M.

Gotta get in front of the interviewer. At a minimum, 80% of resumes are tossed for any good job. Assuming you took an appropriate curriculum, your school, your internships and your GPA are what gets you in front of the interviewer. Connections are everything for mid-careers and great for securing internships but overrated for assisting you in getting your first job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If only it was that easy. The bottom 4, 5, or whatever, are not necessarily the girls that will get bumped. This team is LOADED with F&F. There are certain girls, that although clearly on the bottom, are going nowhere.

There will be some very good girls left in this wake. And I know some YJ Loyalists will say it isn't so, but everyone else knows the truth. Good Luck 2020...

this is right on the $ and i know exactly who those check marks are. sad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Gotta get in front of the interviewer. At a minimum, 80% of resumes are tossed for any good job. Assuming you took an appropriate curriculum, your school, your internships and your GPA are what gets you in front of the interviewer. Connections are everything for mid-careers and great for securing internships but overrated for assisting you in getting your first job.

If everyone thinks that Fortune 100 companies that get 100's of resumes a week for entry level positions don't put kids on top of the pile from Duke, ND, MW etc you are really fooling yourself. It's the same thing with travel lacrosse. Does playing on Blue get you noticed with a better chance of scholarship? YES IT DOES. Can someone get money playing just school ball with a good video and doing some camps? SURE but its a lot harder to do. So yeah a Pace kid can hopefully get an interview but will have to work a lot harder than a Duke grad to get in the door. Pick the better school every time even if you have to leave your stick at home!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If everyone thinks that Fortune 100 companies that get 100's of resumes a week for entry level positions don't put kids on top of the pile from Duke, ND, MW etc you are really fooling yourself. It's the same thing with travel lacrosse. Does playing on Blue get you noticed with a better chance of scholarship? YES IT DOES. Can someone get money playing just school ball with a good video and doing some camps? SURE but its a lot harder to do. So yeah a Pace kid can hopefully get an interview but will have to work a lot harder than a Duke grad to get in the door. Pick the better school every time even if you have to leave your stick at home!!
90% + of the jobs in the country are not at fortune 500 companies. Unless your a business major the jobs at that company do not apply. If your daughter is looking to be, lets say for an example, a nurse, than a $300,000.00 education is kind of overkill. The same is true in many other fields of endeavor. So yes at the major trading houses, banks and insurance companies the "top Schools" are probably the way to go. But even then your odds of success on a grand scale are minimal if your a man, and much less if your a woman so good luck with that. Lets face the facts here, we're talking about our daughters, including my own, and there is a high percentage chance that they will spend 10 years or less in the work force before starting families, so is that high price tag worth it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like 2021

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

90% + of the jobs in the country are not at fortune 500 companies. Unless your a business major the jobs at that company do not apply. If your daughter is looking to be, lets say for an example, a nurse, than a $300,000.00 education is kind of overkill. The same is true in many other fields of endeavor. So yes at the major trading houses, banks and insurance companies the "top Schools" are probably the way to go. But even then your odds of success on a grand scale are minimal if your a man, and much less if your a woman so good luck with that. Lets face the facts here, we're talking about our daughters, including my own, and there is a high percentage chance that they will spend 10 years or less in the work force before starting families, so is that high price tag worth it?

You sound like a dad that is going to chase the athletic money regardless of where it is offered from. Good Luck!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You sound like a dad that is going to chase the athletic money regardless of where it is offered from. Good Luck!
Actually no. my daughter had no intention of playing, Applied to a school and was accepted, then got in contact with the coach and was offered money. What she chased was a particular career, lacrosse was just a bonus

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually no. my daughter had no intention of playing, Applied to a school and was accepted, then got in contact with the coach and was offered money. What she chased was a particular career, lacrosse was just a bonus

Refreshing response, I see you're not a cool aid drinker. Hope it works out for your daughter

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like 2021

Sounds like 2019 too

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like 2021

Sounds like 2019 too

SOUNDS LIKE EVERY YJ AGE GROUP! It's a business, get over it or get out!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like 2021

Sounds like 2019 too

Thanks F&F!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop being a douchbag ,if your kid is a top 20 player she will be on the top team , yes some spots are taken by politics but to act like every kid from certain schools or every kid with an older blue sister does not deserve it is ridiculous. You know exactly who they are then stop being a coward and tell us .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like 2021

Sounds like 2019 too

Thanks F&F!!!

I'm not making any excuses we damn well paid over $50,000 with my other daughter into the Yellow Jackets so yeah, my younger daughter should and will be given some special treatment. Too bad if you don't see that. This is the real world. When your 2nd daughter is coming up you will feel the same way and get the same treatment

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop being a douchbag ,if your kid is a top 20 player she will be on the top team , yes some spots are taken by politics but to act like every kid from certain schools or every kid with an older blue sister does not deserve it is ridiculous. You know exactly who they are then stop being a coward and tell us .

Please re-read before you post. The above response is painful to read.
childish name calling...check
contradiction...check
dramatic exaggeration...check

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You should have taken that $50K and invested it a few years ago...you would be able to send your kid to Harvard with no debt and no lacrosse worries

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You should have taken that $50K and invested it a few years ago...you would be able to send your kid to Harvard with no debt and no lacrosse worries
Your trying to reason with an idiot that paid $50,000.00 on travel lacrosse, and thinks just because there that stupid they should be treated special. $50,000.00 wow thats a lot! I guess one on one training, winter league, Bee gear, luau, cruses, extra practices etc… really starts to add up. What a colossal fool. even if your really wealthy $50,000.00 is a lot on a game

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From NBC NEWS - For those parents pushing for the commit to college for some athletic cash.

Stand long enough on the sidelines of any youth sports tournament and you will hear conversations about coaches, sports travel, and the cost of uniforms and gear.
What you may not hear about—but what parents say is a near universal obsession—is the dream of college athletic scholarships. "That scholarship is the holy grail," said Greg Earhart, a swimming coach at Arizona State University.
But does the reality of athletic scholarships match the fantasy? Hardly.
While tens of thousands of athletes will head off to visit colleges this fall hoping to be recruited, only a small fraction will make the cut. Even fewer will get scholarships. And for those who do end up playing in college, whether on scholarship or not, the experience may be very different from what they imagined.
Just 3.3 percent of high school seniors playing men's sport have roster positions on NCAA teams as freshmen—with or without scholarships, according to NCAA data. For women, the figure is 3.7 percent. Put another way, the odds of landing a college scholarship in many major sports are lower than the chances of being admitted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford.
Overall, colleges and universities awarded more than $3 billion in athletic scholarships in 2013, but very few of those were full rides. In most sports, coaches are allowed to divvy up scholarships. In 2013, the average amount of money awarded to NCAA Division 1 athletes was $13,821 for men and $14,660 for women. Other divisions offer less, and Division 3 schools offer no athletic scholarships at all.
"There's this great myth about how many scholarships there are out there," said Earhart.
There's also a lot of pressure on those who do get athletic scholarships. Long practice hours, diminished fan attendance, and life on a different schedule from most students can take their toll on young athletes—as can the physical intensity of the sport itself.
Heavy pressures
Becky Dionne found out the hard way that college athletics were not for her. A competitive swimmer since age 6, she had stood out in her hometown of Hudson, N.H., and was named swimmer of the year three times in a row by the Nashua Telegraph. Her mother spent years shuttling her to predawn practices and attending her many competitions and meets.
When it came time to choose a college, Dionne looked for a school where she could pursue her interest in fashion marketing and also swim competitively. She discovered Savannah College of Art and Design at a college fair. After contacting the coach and visiting the school, she was offered a $15,000 athletic scholarship.
Dionne was lucky. Arizona State's Earhart found that only roughly 561 swimming scholarships were available for boys in 2013 and 1,037 for girls, putting the odds of a male high school swimmer receiving a college swimming scholarship at 1 in 48 and the odds for a girl at 1 in 31. (The NCAA itself is open about the slim chances of landing an athletic scholarship, warning in informational materials that "according to recent statistics, about two percent of high school athletes are awarded athletics scholarships to compete in college.")
Dionne started college excited about swimming, but that changed quickly. She found it hard to make friends with her teammates initially, which made the eight weekly practices totaling almost 40 hours a week--many early in the morning--even tougher, she said.
Dionne's swimming times and her relationships with other teammates did improve over time, but she remained unhappy and told her parents she wanted to quit in the fall. Her mother encouraged her to finish the season, which she did.
But at the end of the season, Dionne left the team. She had to give up her scholarship when she quit, but in her opinion, it was worth it. "The words, 'your scholarship will be pulled' were some of the best I actually have heard in my life," she said. "Bring on the loans."
A matter of time
Most athletes want to keep their scholarships, but the demands of high-level college athletics can be challenging.
Some students will end up transferring to other schools where they feel they'll be under less pressure or get more playing time, or both. In men's basketball (which has unusually high transfer rates), 14.5 percent of NCAA Division 1 players in 2012–2013 were transfers from 2–year colleges and 13.3 percent came from 4–year schools. Among female basketball players, 7.5 percent of Division 1 players were transfers from 2-year schools and 8.6 percent from four-year colleges.
Even for those who are committed to sticking with their teams, the amount of time required of them can be tough to manage.
Nicole Sung-Jereczek started rowing in high school, having competed as a gymnast through middle school, and found she loved the sport and the close teamwork. When she became a rower at UCLA after being recruited with a scholarship covering about three–fourths of her costs, many things about the team exceeded her expectations. "I didn't expect to have such great bonds with my teammates," she said. She was also surprised at "how much the athletic department at UCLA worked to help me succeed academically and athletically," providing trainers, tutors, and more.
Even so, Sung-Jereczek said, the college commitment was formidable. "I didn't expect or anticipate the amount of time that I would have to devote to it," she said, of her time spent rowing at UCLA. Her commitment meant she couldn't get a part-time job or internship, she said, and severely limited her social life. "I didn't expect or anticipate that I would only be rowing or studying."
Plenty of athletes share that experience. In a survey of college athletes by the NCAA asking what students wished they could have changed about their college sports experience, the most common responses were about time. Another NCAA survey found that a typical NCAA athlete in-season spends 33 hours a week on academics—and 39 hours a week on sports.
Sung-Jereczek graduated from UCLA last spring, having rowed all four years on a scholarship that she said covered roughly three-fourths of her college costs. But she estimated that roughly 30 percent of the people she started with in her freshman year did not stay on the team that long—even in a sport where teammates are unusually reliant on each other.
She's proud that she rowed through college, and she managed to land a job at a sports management company after graduation. But Sung-Jereczek said she definitely thought about quitting along the way. "It's something my teammates and I always struggled with," she said, what with bus rides to the marina at 5:30 in the morning, 20 hours of practice every week, and frequent travel to races and competitions. "It's really hard for people to stick with it."
Her sister is rowing at UCLA now, Sung-Jereczek said, and wants to row all for years. "She's determined to, but you never know what happens."
Sidelined by injuries
There are also athletes whose college sports careers are cut short by injuries.
That's what happened to Will Oliver, a student at UCLA. His path to a college athletic scholarship was unusually smooth. He only began playing football in high school, and his parents were thrilled when he was recruited by UCLA at the last minute and offered a full ride. When he arrived on campus, he was stunned at the resources available to the team.
"I didn't have any idea what it was to be a Division 1 athlete," he said. "Even on the field, they were fitting us for way better shoulder pads than I'd ever seen, any helmet you can imagine." The equipment room had aisles and aisles of face masks, gloves, and other gear on shelves taller than Oliver, who measures 6 feet 8 inches. (Research by the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics found that in 2010, the most recent year available, median spending on athletics per athlete at schools in UCLA's athletic conference was 7.2 times higher than median academic spending per student.)
Oliver was happy on the team, but his shoulders were not. He tore the cartilage in one shoulder joint in the fall of his freshman year after dislocating his shoulder multiple times. Recovering from the December surgery took months and when he rejoined the team for summer training, it was tough to catch up, he said.
In the new season, Oliver soon began having trouble with his other shoulder. The injuries on that side were worse, and he had surgery almost a year to the day after the first operation. The following spring, his coach sat him down and told him he needed to retire for his own health.
Surgery-requiring injuries like Oliver's may be uncommon. But injuries themselves are not. Between 1988 and 2004, the National Collegiate Athletic Association Injury Surveillance System recorded more than 200,000 injuries among college athletes, or about 12,500 per year, ranging from sprains and strains to broken bones and concussions.
If he could play football again, Oliver would do it in a heartbeat, he said. "Just being on the team, going through what I did go through and having all these different obstacles that I had to overcome—it really helped me grow up as a person and a man," he said. UCLA continued providing scholarship money since he left for medical reasons (that's common, though not a given at all schools). But adjusting to life after football was tough. He missed the team, and though he said he does not care for the spotlight, "as a student athlete you get certain privileges that you start taking for granted."
Adding it up
Injuries aside, Oliver considers himself fortunate: his passion and aptitude for his sport paid off with a full ride to a top school.
Olivia Courtney, a nationally ranked gymnast at UCLA, is part of that elite group as well. But it took many years of hard work. She began pursuing her goal of a spot on the national team when she was young, eventually moving to Florida to improve her chances. Some of her schooling took place online because her practice schedule was so intense. And when she made the national team, there was extensive travel – so extensive that it seemed more intense than college athletics.
Special needs kids hit field for America’s pastime
I really liked college a lot more than individual competing," Courtney said. "I liked the USA experience, but I just liked college more. I really liked the team aspect." Her UCLA gymnastics experience, Courtney said, was "stressful still, but so fun." Not only that, UCLA gave her a free ride for all four years.
Courtney is a top-tier athlete, however, and it is rare indeed for any athletes to land enough athletic scholarship money to offset the cost of their youth sports involvement, particularly as those costs continue to climb.
There are more opportunities every year for elite competition in youth sports, said Lisa Delpy Neirotti, an associate professor of sports management at George Washington University. "People are feeling the need to go because now they've got these college showcases and coaches show up, and if you want to get your kid seen, you'd better be there."
When parents add up how much money they've spent each year, it's almost equal to a scholarship in some cases, she said. Still, Neirotti has felt the pressure herself. She's done her share of writing checks and traveling for her own children's sports involvement.
Don Schumacher, executive director of the National Association of Sports Commissions, agrees that parents who expect youth sports involvement to generate a positive financial return in the form of scholarships are off the mark. "You could spend $5,000 to $10,000 a year for three or four years chasing all these tournaments all year long, where if you saved that money and paid the tuition, you'd be ahead," he said.
How much is too much?
Some colleges and athletic conferences are also taking a second look at the demands on those high school athletes who do make the cut. The Atlantic Coast Conference women's soccer teams, for example, have modified the college teams' competition schedule to cut down on travel.
advertisement
Amy Perko, executive director of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, said her organization, whose focus is making sure that college athletic programs operate in line with the schools' educational missions, is examining the demands of college sports travel and its impact on academics.
"Athletics in many ways is about helping individuals achieve their dreams, and it is about learning how you can push yourself to become better," said Perko, who was a star basketball player for Wake Forest. "It's the question of at what point does it become too much."
Elissa Cordrey, a Summit, N.J., mother of four lacrosse players who has been through the recruiting process with several of her own children, thinks often about that question. She has seen other young athletes have difficulty filtering offers from different schools, and said players and parents can often be blinded by a program's success or prestige and fail to think about whether that college is right for them.
Luckily for Cordrey, her children have so far had positive experiences at their Division 1 and Division 3 schools. But she is under no illusions about what high-level athletics involve.
"My kids love it and we are thrilled they are making the commitment," she said. But if the child is playing for the sake of a scholarship, and not for love of the game, be careful, she warned. "Keep your eyes wide open. It's not high school athletics. In some ways, it's really exciting. But if your child's not passionate, you are going to have a lot of teary phone calls."

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
From NBC NEWS - For those parents pushing for the commit to college for some athletic cash.

Stand long enough on the sidelines of any youth sports tournament and you will hear conversations about coaches, sports travel, and the cost of uniforms and gear.
What you may not hear about—but what parents say is a near universal obsession—is the dream of college athletic scholarships. "That scholarship is the holy grail," said Greg Earhart, a swimming coach at Arizona State University.
But does the reality of athletic scholarships match the fantasy? Hardly.
While tens of thousands of athletes will head off to visit colleges this fall hoping to be recruited, only a small fraction will make the cut. Even fewer will get scholarships. And for those who do end up playing in college, whether on scholarship or not, the experience may be very different from what they imagined.
Just 3.3 percent of high school seniors playing men's sport have roster positions on NCAA teams as freshmen—with or without scholarships, according to NCAA data. For women, the figure is 3.7 percent. Put another way, the odds of landing a college scholarship in many major sports are lower than the chances of being admitted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford.
Overall, colleges and universities awarded more than $3 billion in athletic scholarships in 2013, but very few of those were full rides. In most sports, coaches are allowed to divvy up scholarships. In 2013, the average amount of money awarded to NCAA Division 1 athletes was $13,821 for men and $14,660 for women. Other divisions offer less, and Division 3 schools offer no athletic scholarships at all.
"There's this great myth about how many scholarships there are out there," said Earhart.
There's also a lot of pressure on those who do get athletic scholarships. Long practice hours, diminished fan attendance, and life on a different schedule from most students can take their toll on young athletes—as can the physical intensity of the sport itself.
Heavy pressures
Becky Dionne found out the hard way that college athletics were not for her. A competitive swimmer since age 6, she had stood out in her hometown of Hudson, N.H., and was named swimmer of the year three times in a row by the Nashua Telegraph. Her mother spent years shuttling her to predawn practices and attending her many competitions and meets.
When it came time to choose a college, Dionne looked for a school where she could pursue her interest in fashion marketing and also swim competitively. She discovered Savannah College of Art and Design at a college fair. After contacting the coach and visiting the school, she was offered a $15,000 athletic scholarship.
Dionne was lucky. Arizona State's Earhart found that only roughly 561 swimming scholarships were available for boys in 2013 and 1,037 for girls, putting the odds of a male high school swimmer receiving a college swimming scholarship at 1 in 48 and the odds for a girl at 1 in 31. (The NCAA itself is open about the slim chances of landing an athletic scholarship, warning in informational materials that "according to recent statistics, about two percent of high school athletes are awarded athletics scholarships to compete in college.")
Dionne started college excited about swimming, but that changed quickly. She found it hard to make friends with her teammates initially, which made the eight weekly practices totaling almost 40 hours a week--many early in the morning--even tougher, she said.
Dionne's swimming times and her relationships with other teammates did improve over time, but she remained unhappy and told her parents she wanted to quit in the fall. Her mother encouraged her to finish the season, which she did.
But at the end of the season, Dionne left the team. She had to give up her scholarship when she quit, but in her opinion, it was worth it. "The words, 'your scholarship will be pulled' were some of the best I actually have heard in my life," she said. "Bring on the loans."
A matter of time
Most athletes want to keep their scholarships, but the demands of high-level college athletics can be challenging.
Some students will end up transferring to other schools where they feel they'll be under less pressure or get more playing time, or both. In men's basketball (which has unusually high transfer rates), 14.5 percent of NCAA Division 1 players in 2012–2013 were transfers from 2–year colleges and 13.3 percent came from 4–year schools. Among female basketball players, 7.5 percent of Division 1 players were transfers from 2-year schools and 8.6 percent from four-year colleges.
Even for those who are committed to sticking with their teams, the amount of time required of them can be tough to manage.
Nicole Sung-Jereczek started rowing in high school, having competed as a gymnast through middle school, and found she loved the sport and the close teamwork. When she became a rower at UCLA after being recruited with a scholarship covering about three–fourths of her costs, many things about the team exceeded her expectations. "I didn't expect to have such great bonds with my teammates," she said. She was also surprised at "how much the athletic department at UCLA worked to help me succeed academically and athletically," providing trainers, tutors, and more.
Even so, Sung-Jereczek said, the college commitment was formidable. "I didn't expect or anticipate the amount of time that I would have to devote to it," she said, of her time spent rowing at UCLA. Her commitment meant she couldn't get a part-time job or internship, she said, and severely limited her social life. "I didn't expect or anticipate that I would only be rowing or studying."
Plenty of athletes share that experience. In a survey of college athletes by the NCAA asking what students wished they could have changed about their college sports experience, the most common responses were about time. Another NCAA survey found that a typical NCAA athlete in-season spends 33 hours a week on academics—and 39 hours a week on sports.
Sung-Jereczek graduated from UCLA last spring, having rowed all four years on a scholarship that she said covered roughly three-fourths of her college costs. But she estimated that roughly 30 percent of the people she started with in her freshman year did not stay on the team that long—even in a sport where teammates are unusually reliant on each other.
She's proud that she rowed through college, and she managed to land a job at a sports management company after graduation. But Sung-Jereczek said she definitely thought about quitting along the way. "It's something my teammates and I always struggled with," she said, what with bus rides to the marina at 5:30 in the morning, 20 hours of practice every week, and frequent travel to races and competitions. "It's really hard for people to stick with it."
Her sister is rowing at UCLA now, Sung-Jereczek said, and wants to row all for years. "She's determined to, but you never know what happens."
Sidelined by injuries
There are also athletes whose college sports careers are cut short by injuries.
That's what happened to Will Oliver, a student at UCLA. His path to a college athletic scholarship was unusually smooth. He only began playing football in high school, and his parents were thrilled when he was recruited by UCLA at the last minute and offered a full ride. When he arrived on campus, he was stunned at the resources available to the team.
"I didn't have any idea what it was to be a Division 1 athlete," he said. "Even on the field, they were fitting us for way better shoulder pads than I'd ever seen, any helmet you can imagine." The equipment room had aisles and aisles of face masks, gloves, and other gear on shelves taller than Oliver, who measures 6 feet 8 inches. (Research by the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics found that in 2010, the most recent year available, median spending on athletics per athlete at schools in UCLA's athletic conference was 7.2 times higher than median academic spending per student.)
Oliver was happy on the team, but his shoulders were not. He tore the cartilage in one shoulder joint in the fall of his freshman year after dislocating his shoulder multiple times. Recovering from the December surgery took months and when he rejoined the team for summer training, it was tough to catch up, he said.
In the new season, Oliver soon began having trouble with his other shoulder. The injuries on that side were worse, and he had surgery almost a year to the day after the first operation. The following spring, his coach sat him down and told him he needed to retire for his own health.
Surgery-requiring injuries like Oliver's may be uncommon. But injuries themselves are not. Between 1988 and 2004, the National Collegiate Athletic Association Injury Surveillance System recorded more than 200,000 injuries among college athletes, or about 12,500 per year, ranging from sprains and strains to broken bones and concussions.
If he could play football again, Oliver would do it in a heartbeat, he said. "Just being on the team, going through what I did go through and having all these different obstacles that I had to overcome—it really helped me grow up as a person and a man," he said. UCLA continued providing scholarship money since he left for medical reasons (that's common, though not a given at all schools). But adjusting to life after football was tough. He missed the team, and though he said he does not care for the spotlight, "as a student athlete you get certain privileges that you start taking for granted."
Adding it up
Injuries aside, Oliver considers himself fortunate: his passion and aptitude for his sport paid off with a full ride to a top school.
Olivia Courtney, a nationally ranked gymnast at UCLA, is part of that elite group as well. But it took many years of hard work. She began pursuing her goal of a spot on the national team when she was young, eventually moving to Florida to improve her chances. Some of her schooling took place online because her practice schedule was so intense. And when she made the national team, there was extensive travel – so extensive that it seemed more intense than college athletics.
Special needs kids hit field for America’s pastime
I really liked college a lot more than individual competing," Courtney said. "I liked the USA experience, but I just liked college more. I really liked the team aspect." Her UCLA gymnastics experience, Courtney said, was "stressful still, but so fun." Not only that, UCLA gave her a free ride for all four years.
Courtney is a top-tier athlete, however, and it is rare indeed for any athletes to land enough athletic scholarship money to offset the cost of their youth sports involvement, particularly as those costs continue to climb.
There are more opportunities every year for elite competition in youth sports, said Lisa Delpy Neirotti, an associate professor of sports management at George Washington University. "People are feeling the need to go because now they've got these college showcases and coaches show up, and if you want to get your kid seen, you'd better be there."
When parents add up how much money they've spent each year, it's almost equal to a scholarship in some cases, she said. Still, Neirotti has felt the pressure herself. She's done her share of writing checks and traveling for her own children's sports involvement.
Don Schumacher, executive director of the National Association of Sports Commissions, agrees that parents who expect youth sports involvement to generate a positive financial return in the form of scholarships are off the mark. "You could spend $5,000 to $10,000 a year for three or four years chasing all these tournaments all year long, where if you saved that money and paid the tuition, you'd be ahead," he said.
How much is too much?
Some colleges and athletic conferences are also taking a second look at the demands on those high school athletes who do make the cut. The Atlantic Coast Conference women's soccer teams, for example, have modified the college teams' competition schedule to cut down on travel.
advertisement
Amy Perko, executive director of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, said her organization, whose focus is making sure that college athletic programs operate in line with the schools' educational missions, is examining the demands of college sports travel and its impact on academics.
"Athletics in many ways is about helping individuals achieve their dreams, and it is about learning how you can push yourself to become better," said Perko, who was a star basketball player for Wake Forest. "It's the question of at what point does it become too much."
Elissa Cordrey, a Summit, N.J., mother of four lacrosse players who has been through the recruiting process with several of her own children, thinks often about that question. She has seen other young athletes have difficulty filtering offers from different schools, and said players and parents can often be blinded by a program's success or prestige and fail to think about whether that college is right for them.
Luckily for Cordrey, her children have so far had positive experiences at their Division 1 and Division 3 schools. But she is under no illusions about what high-level athletics involve.
"My kids love it and we are thrilled they are making the commitment," she said. But if the child is playing for the sake of a scholarship, and not for love of the game, be careful, she warned. "Keep your eyes wide open. It's not high school athletics. In some ways, it's really exciting. But if your child's not passionate, you are going to have a lot of teary phone calls."

Great post. As I have posted before, over the past 15 years only 50% of LI women lacrosse players finish four years of playing at the collegiate level. Based on early statistics for another year that number does seem to improving.

There is such a mix of variables for every individual regarding choosing the "right" school. If playing lacrosse is very much in the picture it is a big challenge for young girls to take on D1/D2 practice requirements and academic requirements, let alone social needs.

"Chasing" money is a factor; college costs are high. But at what cost? In four years the lacrosse career is over. The intent of college, outside of the academic achievement, is to begin a career in your field of study (or close to it). I have counseled parents for years and it is a delicate balance to choose the right school. My goal, at the end of the day, is to match a students academic standing with the best school; not the best athletic school regardless of academic standing.

If you have a bright student (excellent GPA, class rank, test scores) but you "settle" for University of Maryland Baltimore-County (sorry if I offend anyone but a school with a 67% acceptance rate and 37% graduation rate is not good) because they offered you D1 money is not the best for your daughter. But for a marginally good student it is a good fit.

Ask your daughters what they want to do in college other than lacrosse. If they say study abroad, join clubs (even Greek life), internships, "enjoy college life", etc. than D1/D2 may not be what they want to do (with the possible exception of the Ivies). There are D3 schools that require exceptional credentials to be accepted and why not use lacrosse as leverage? Internships, study abroad, etc are not only possible but encouraged. These schools are expensive but offer many ways to help with tuition and that is before any loans. Look at the acceptance rate and credentials ( as well as alumni support) for NESCAC schools (best D3 lacrosse in the country) such as Amherst, Williams, Hamilton, Middlebury, Colby, Tufts as well as Washington & Lee and Haverford (and many others). If your daughter has the smarts these are fantastic schools that will set them up for the lives after the lacrosse is over.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you look at the YJ committed page (and other clubs to) you do see that there are many marginal schools on there that would never have gotten a sniff unless they were offering money so a girl could commit early. Bald Bear is spot on, lots of these kids wash out of lacrosse and I think it means more to most parents than kids on getting an athletic offer. Like someone said always pick the right academic school regardless of lacrosse every time. And did I read that right, more time on Lacrosse in D1 than academic studies??? Between year round commitment and extensive travel I guess it is a fulltime job

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How is the 2019 Yellow Jackets team? The one coming to Maryland 10/26 to play M&D, TLC, Heroes and Cardinals?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How is the 2019 Yellow Jackets team? The one coming to Maryland 10/26 to play M&D, TLC, Heroes and Cardinals?

not very good, many 2020 players ,most of the better 2019 players not attending

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

they're ok. not like some of the other blue teams but still good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why are the better players not going? Shows the commitment to this team , thats why they are going outside the club to replace these kids that dont play all year round.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
fzvbsy

they're ok. not like some of the other blue teams but still good.

Way too many F & F .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why are the better players not going? Shows the commitment to this team , thats why they are going outside the club to replace these kids that dont play all year round.

Yeah that's it moron, has nothing to do with traveling all the way to MD , by the way the coaches are not making the trip either .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah that's it moron, has nothing to do with traveling all the way to MD , by the way the coaches are not making the trip either .

Those looking to carry favor are going.

Like Reply Quote
Page 179 of 327 1 2 177 178 179 180 181 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard