BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 29 of 70 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guy...for the last time...YOU ARE WRONG. Just accept it. Guys have been trying to let you down nicely. For the record, all,of the schools on your "list" have been visited "unofficially" by many 2017's.

And they (your "non-actively recruiting" schools)have asked for and reviewed and approved first quarter transcripts. Ask me how I know....this includes Duke and "others"

And if you are just not in the loop with all of the other "activities" such as "unofficial visits" that are going on (and we've been privileged to attend ) with your dispelled list of "non-actively recruiting" schools; then there is clearly a reason for that...just as there was a reason that there was no direct JR at your mail box. The direct invites went DIRECTLY to the players...hence the words "direct invite."

The only event your club coach had any say in was maverick. JR was strictly based on their review and observations so don't hold your breath. Go to another 3D and take your chances but stop with the self delusions already. You truly are sadly misinformed.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I do stand corrected on the JR appointments. Apparently JR direct appointments have been allocated to a number of clubs, as others wrote. But not yet to ours.

I stand by what I wrote insofar as the Ivies, Duke and ND. If your club coach has made queries with the coaches at those schools or vice versa, then all power to them. And yes, we all saw some Ivies at the November tournaments and UPenn had a prospect day. But they are plainly not moving the recruiting process ahead with unofficial visits. The Ivies, Duke and ND are collecting data. I would find it credible that they are building or refining some targeted list of kids they are particularly eager on, but frankly the data they need...grades...are not available yet.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parent of a 2017 that got a direct invite to JR on Nov 2nd. My son did not attend the rising freshman camp last summer by our conscience decision and choice. Did not attend a "play in" this year or last. Got a direct invite personally. NOT thru his club. It doesn't work that way. If your good enough, they will find you. The coach or director of your"club" is not nearly as important as they want you to think! Most have a vested financial interest in spreading this "myth".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Old saying in coaching... Recruit the kid, tolerate the parent.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Old saying in coaching... Recruit the kid, tolerate the parent.
When I was coaching youth sports, we used to target specific players for the team. The motto was "Recruit the Parent, Play the Kid". Tolerate the parent might be the longer term outcome.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I do stand corrected on the JR appointments. Apparently JR direct appointments have been allocated to a number of clubs, as others wrote. But not yet to ours.

I stand by what I wrote insofar as the Ivies, Duke and ND. If your club coach has made queries with the coaches at those schools or vice versa, then all power to them. And yes, we all saw some Ivies at the November tournaments and UPenn had a prospect day. But they are plainly not moving the recruiting process ahead with unofficial visits. The Ivies, Duke and ND are collecting data. I would find it credible that they are building or refining some targeted list of kids they are particularly eager on, but frankly the data they need...grades...are not available yet.

I am just about certain that all of the JR direct spots have gone out. I guess if someone turned it down there could be a few floating around, but doubt it. Also, I am pretty sure that there are not specific club allocations. JR obviously has trusted sources which I guess you could then infer are club allocations, but I am just about certain that is the case.

If there were club allocations I would think our club would be at the top of the heap since we are part of 3d and one of the guys who picks who gets in from the 3d Blue Chip spent a lot of time coaching our team, and at least half of our team is JR or Maverik worthy. All of our parents are pretty open in a non-ego sort of way about discussing who is doing what, and I think maybe two or three at the most got direct invites.

It would be interesting to know how many of the 2017 directs were not at the rising freshmen last summer.

The sad fact is that just about everyone is already recruiting 2017's. As Cage said at least 5 that he knows of. It is now an arms race and each family has to figure out how best to navigate the system.

What all you people don't get, is that YOU really don't have much to do with it. Just going to JR or Showtime WILL NOT get your kid recruited. There are plenty of committed kids in the 2016 year that neither attended JR or Showtime. Or even played on an elite travel team. If your son is good, the coaches WILL find him. The problem as I see it, is most of the boys are ok players, but not good enough to get recruited. Unfortunately, that will not change for most of them, and will just lead to more anxiety and frustration from overzealous parents. This will stress out both yourself, as well as your son. STOP IT! Let the process unfold and back off!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with some of what you said. You absolutely do not have to go to JR or Maverik to get recruited, and despite the flaws those are still pretty good vetting events for coaches. If they weren't you wouldn't see just about every DI school sitting on the sidelines baking in the sun.

I don't necessarily buy the argument that if you are good they will find you. I have too much personal experience of kids who have wound up at top schools, or who are going to top schools who wouldn't be there without divine intervention. There are just too many kids playing good lacrosse at too many events, and lacrosse unlike football doesn't have the resources to dedicate towards recruiting so a lot of it does matter on your club.

Not that you have to play for the Express or Crabs to get recruited, but if you are playing on a mediocre team fewer coaches watch your game, and if you are surrounded by less skilled players it is often very difficult to showcase your skills.

When you watch coaches on a sideline most of them are not looking for the diamond in the rough. For the most part they are going to look at kids who have been recommended or who either the player or parent has sent loads of emails, updates, and videos, and the coach saw enough potential to go see the kid play in person.

Can this happen independent of a club coach, absolutely, but playing on a recognizable club team give you enough steer creed in many instances to at least warrant a look from a coach at a tournament or showcase.

The one point I totally agree with you on is be patient. If not this process will drive you crazy. It happens on different timelines for different people.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by VaLaxDad
This is not accurate. Rock and Ryan Pride to UVA, Alex Trippi to UNC. All publicized, all reclassed.
Congrats to the boys!

I guess I have a hard to time saying congrats - I don't know the facts, but there is a growing, disturbing trend which is the reclassifying game. It sure seems like a twisted arms race of sorts where if you don't chose to play the cards are stacked heavily against you.

Trust me.... We are all very tired of the "reclassified" situation. But let's not judge those who do so in order to help their kids. If i had a child whose only chance to compete against the best of Long island was to "reclassify; then maybe i would see things through their eyes. Cheaters will always be cheaters.

They will do as they must to remain competitive with the true LAX hot bed: Long Island

I personally know there are several (at least 7) LI true 14 yo 2017's who are in the process of choosing just who to commit to and they all understand that there is no race here. Their families understand that the real importance here is helping the players pick the school which will best serve their educational options. Young as they may be; these kids are advanced enough to understand that their budding abilities are going to afford them great opportunities. With their parent's guidance; they will have the schools of choice amongst them which include all of the afore mentioned LAX powerhouse schools as well as IVY academic powerhouses.

Patience is truly a virtue. Long Island will as usual be very well represented across the board amongst all of these fine schools.

And they won't need "reclassification" to do so...

Long Island LAX: No reclassification needed.

Get a life. If a family decides to reclassify their child, it is pathetic to call that cheating.

God, you guys are total whiners.

Touched a nerve there, huh? :-)

Tell us the definition of pathetic, pray tell!!

As they used to say: if the shoe fits; wear it.

Ringers, cheaters, left back, held back, "re-classified " (luv that one)

Call it what ever you want....a cheater is a cheater.

Like father....like son,...way to go cheater dads...show us all how to get ahead with your lesser lax skilled kid using brute size and speed and being older and stronger.

Joe D had it right up here on LI: take the best age appropriate kids and bring them up and down the country and play up and beat everyone to condition the boys for the event of finally facing the CHEATERS; to which the skills of our true 2017's far outshine those of any reclassified CHEATERS...this goes for all Long Island A level teams across the board.

Head to head, one on one, we repeatedly suppress a little smile when we watch our true 2017's whoop up on the RECLASSIFIED CHEATERS.

Them's the facts.......DEAL WITH IT CHEATERS.

Our 2017's will get all and any spots they desire without CHEATING.

Now I have to go help my true 2017 narrow down his commitment choices. (Oops, is he taking away a 2017 spot from a 2016 CHEATER?)....answer: absolutely.

No cheating needed. And no whining here. Just chuckling at the collective blush I can feel from so many insecure dads in Va and Md that held their cheater kids back.

Have a lovely day.

As the parent of a true LI 2018 (born summer 2000, so he's even young for 2018), I can tell you every major LI club whether it is private or town based has their share of hold-backs, at every grade level. Many 2017s running about on this strange island sporting very early 1998 b-days. Joe D's amphibians might be an exception, but the emphasis there is on "might be".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are incorrect about the ivies and Notre Dame. They are actively recruiting 2017s and they are having unofficial visits. That is a fact.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am just about certain that all of the JR direct spots have gone out. I guess if someone turned it down there could be a few floating around, but doubt it. Also, I am pretty sure that there are not specific club allocations. JR obviously has trusted sources which I guess you could then infer are club allocations, but I am just about certain that is the case.

If there were club allocations I would think our club would be at the top of the heap since we are part of 3d and one of the guys who picks who gets in from the 3d Blue Chip spent a lot of time coaching our team, and at least half of our team is JR or Maverik worthy. All of our parents are pretty open in a non-ego sort of way about discussing who is doing what, and I think maybe two or three at the most got direct invites.

It would be interesting to know how many of the 2017 directs were not at the rising freshmen last summer.

The sad fact is that just about everyone is already recruiting 2017's. As Cage said at least 5 that he knows of. It is now an arms race and each family has to figure out how best to navigate the system.

What all you people don't get, is that YOU really don't have much to do with it. Just going to JR or Showtime WILL NOT get your kid recruited. There are plenty of committed kids in the 2016 year that neither attended JR or Showtime. Or even played on an elite travel team. If your son is good, the coaches WILL find him. The problem as I see it, is most of the boys are ok players, but not good enough to get recruited. Unfortunately, that will not change for most of them, and will just lead to more anxiety and frustration from overzealous parents. This will stress out both yourself, as well as your son. STOP IT! Let the process unfold and back off!

Foolish statement

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Foolish statement

Agree. The problem is that most people on this site just don't want to understand certain things about the process. It is very clear which posts come from informed, been there, parents and should be viewed as a learning process. But instead there is bashing. Believe what you want, but the truth is there are different level schools. There's the ivy, Duke and ND, then there's the rest. That's a fact. These top schools are recruiting 2017's as we speak. And these kids ARE the best of the best. The role/reputation of the travel coach is important as all calls go through him and the Hs coach. As far as $$ goes, there is very little. Maybe 1/4 a yr, IVys none. The value is not the $$, it's the golden ticket to one of the top tier institutions.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is not accurate. Rock and Ryan Pride to UVA, Alex Trippi to UNC. All publicized, all reclassed.
Congrats to the boys!

I guess I have a hard to time saying congrats - I don't know the facts, but there is a growing, disturbing trend which is the reclassifying game. It sure seems like a twisted arms race of sorts where if you don't chose to play the cards are stacked heavily against you.

Trust me.... We are all very tired of the "reclassified" situation. But let's not judge those who do so in order to help their kids. If i had a child whose only chance to compete against the best of Long island was to "reclassify; then maybe i would see things through their eyes. Cheaters will always be cheaters.

They will do as they must to remain competitive with the true LAX hot bed: Long Island

I personally know there are several (at least 7) LI true 14 yo 2017's who are in the process of choosing just who to commit to and they all understand that there is no race here. Their families understand that the real importance here is helping the players pick the school which will best serve their educational options. Young as they may be; these kids are advanced enough to understand that their budding abilities are going to afford them great opportunities. With their parent's guidance; they will have the schools of choice amongst them which include all of the afore mentioned LAX powerhouse schools as well as IVY academic powerhouses.

Patience is truly a virtue. Long Island will as usual be very well represented across the board amongst all of these fine schools.

Get a life. If a family decides to reclassify their child, it is pathetic to call that cheating.

Like father....like son,...way to go cheater dads...show us all how to get ahead with your lesser lax skilled kid using brute size and speed and being older and stronger.

Joe D had it right up here on LI: take the best age appropriate kids and bring them up and down the country and play up and beat everyone to condition the boys for the event of finally facing the CHEATERS; to which the skills of our true 2017's far outshine those of any reclassified CHEATERS...this goes for all Long Island A level teams across the board.

Head to head, one on one, we repeatedly suppress a little smile when we watch our true 2017's whoop up on the RECLASSIFIED CHEATERS.

Now I have to go help my true 2017 narrow down his commitment choices. (Oops, is he taking away a 2017 spot from a 2016 CHEATER?)....answer: absolutely.

No cheating needed. And no whining here. Just chuckling at the collective blush I can feel from so many insecure dads in Va and Md that held their cheater kids back.

Have a lovely day.

As the parent of a true LI 2018 (born summer 2000, so he's even young for 2018), I can tell you every major LI club whether it is private or town based has their share of hold-backs, at every grade level. Many 2017s running about on this strange island sporting very early 1998 b-days. Joe D's amphibians might be an exception, but the emphasis there is on "might be".

13 years ago I would Never have thought a child born in the summer would be considered young for their grade. This is crazy talk

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Foolish statement

You all will see. Those going to JR and Showtime, watch out! If you don't "shine" and get written up IL, nobody will be after you. I saw it with my son last summer. "political" kids from the best travel teams couldn't cut it. Others stood out and were actively recruited. If you decide to pay all the $$, you better be ready to be the best, or else you just look like you don't measure up with the top kids. Some kids might be better off just excelling on their varsity team

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Foolish statement

Not so sure I'd call it foolish as much as I'd consider "he who hesitates loses". The process for 2017's is active and as reluctant as we may or should be about jumping into the fray; if one doesn't, then possible opportunities may be lost.

Certainly there are the prodigies out there that are on every coach's radar, but for those not causing a blip on the screen, even if they are very good, chances are they might be overlooked.

So it's get in the game and play it just as the coaches have reticently done in order to not lose opportunities on gaining access to potential players for their programs.

It's definable as mind numbing at this point, I assure you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Foolish statement

Agree. The problem is that most people on this site just don't want to understand certain things about the process. It is very clear which posts come from informed, been there, parents and should be viewed as a learning process. But instead there is bashing. Believe what you want, but the truth is there are different level schools. There's the ivy, Duke and ND, then there's the rest. That's a fact. These top schools are recruiting 2017's as we speak. And these kids ARE the best of the best. The role/reputation of the travel coach is important as all calls go through him and the Hs coach. As far as $$ goes, there is very little. Maybe 1/4 a yr, IVys none. The value is not the $$, it's the golden ticket to one of the top tier institutions.

For us it was big bucks to a top 40 school. Little debt for my son, great lax and ed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]
The value is not the $$, it's the golden ticket to one of the top tier institutions. [/quote]

And there is the final word on this topic. Nothing more need be said.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I come at this with a different perspective. My son is 2017 who really should be a 2018. He was born late November 1999 and he made the cutoff by a few days. I chose to send him and up to this point it has never been an issue. He is a good player and has competed very well at the "A" Long Island level for a long time and he plays for one of the strongest school programs in the country. However, when it comes to the recruiting game the way it is presently being played, he is at a HUGE disadvantage. Considering hold backs and grade repeaters, he is up against kids 2 years older than him, which as we all know at this age is a huge difference. So for me, I have no illusions of him going to a top D1 school. I am hoping he has a successful high school career and goes on to play college lacrosse at a school that fits his academic as well as athletic goals, whether that's lower D1, D3, whatever. I am enjoying the ride, I am spending invaluable time with my son, going to prospect days, tourneys, camps, etc. He will end up where hes supposed to, and when he does I will be ecstatic for him because hes worked his butt off to get where he is. My only advice to all of you is to help your kid however you can and enjoy the ride.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]
The value is not the $$, it's the golden ticket to one of the top tier institutions.

And there is the final word on this topic. Nothing more need be said. [/quote]

Final Word?? You are so wrong!!! Every kid has a different story. Not everyone will excel given the "golden ticket" that so called ticket is different for each individual. Many of you are setting your kids up for misery at one of these elite schools, happened to the director of LIE actually. His son went on to flourish at a "right fit " school. I went to Hoftsra, my brother went to Cornell. I make 2x the salary. It is about the right fit
Not every family is able to pay the big bill at the Ivies, so taking a bigger scholarship another top tier school might make more sense. Lots of parts to the equation. We are lucky to have a choice. Hope you get the same and consider what is truly best for your child.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The value is not the $$, it's the golden ticket to one of the top tier institutions.

And there is the final word on this topic. Nothing more need be said. [/quote]

Final Word?? You are so wrong!!! Every kid has a different story. Not everyone will excel given the "golden ticket" that so called ticket is different for each individual. Many of you are setting your kids up for misery at one of these elite schools, happened to the director of LIE actually. His son went on to flourish at a "right fit " school. I went to Hoftsra, my brother went to Cornell. I make 2x the salary. It is about the right fit
Not every family is able to pay the big bill at the Ivies, so taking a bigger scholarship another top tier school might make more sense. Lots of parts to the equation. We are lucky to have a choice. Hope you get the same and consider what is truly best for your child.
[/quote]

I stand corrected. My nebulous statement was short and irresponsible. I should have coveyed that the overall goal is to get a ticket...the best ticket; for the best fit regarding academics, ability,financial considerations, etc.

Hopefully, all of our guidance and choices will be accurate and geared to the child's best interests and aabilties and not just satisfying our personal egos.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And there is the final word on this topic. Nothing more need be said.

[/quote]

I stand corrected. My nebulous statement was short and irresponsible. I should have coveyed that the overall goal is to get a ticket...the best ticket; for the best fit regarding academics, ability,financial considerations, etc.

Hopefully, all of our guidance and choices will be accurate and geared to the child's best interests and aabilties and not just satisfying our personal egos.

[/quote]

well said!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AT, the recent UNC committ was a decent player at the 2016 level. Since he had a "late birthday", August 1998, parents decided to have him go to a private school for a year after 8th grade so now he is a 2017 player. No way to view it other than as gaming the system. The fact that so many parents do it doesn't make it right.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have any input on the Peak200 camp? Have heard mixed things......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AT, the recent UNC committ was a decent player at the 2016 level. Since he had a "late birthday", August 1998, parents decided to have him go to a private school for a year after 8th grade so now he is a 2017 player. No way to view it other than as gaming the system. The fact that so many parents do it doesn't make it right.

What is wrong about it?

They are helping their child. If you choose not to do it that is your business.
If you do not want to send your kid to private school don't send him. If you do not want your son to play for a club team have him play only for his town team.
If you do not want him to go to a showcase event don't send him. Stop worrying about what others do. There is nothing wrong with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

oh so correct. That is absolutely gaming the system. If you knew when he was 5 he was younger and could not handle it and you held him back to start his educational career a year later I can live with that. Holding back a child in after 2nd grade for non educational issues is gaming the system.

That being said, if I had the means I would do the same. Because we are trying to get the best for our kids, but how do his friends see him after doing this. How is the reaction of the close family and friends.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is wrong about it?

If you do not want to send your kid to private school don't send him. If you do not want your son to play for a club team have him play only for his town team.
If you do not want him to go to a showcase event don't send him. Stop worrying about what others do. There is nothing wrong with it.

He went back to his public school after going private for one year. Effectively, he took a "year off" from public school so that when he went back to HS, he was a grade lower than he otherwise would have been. Purely for athletic reasons, not academic. Gaming the system, cheating etc. No other way to see it unless you do the same thing and justify it in your minds somehow

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any school really only takes 4/5 Boys per position each year. Do the math, not a lot of spots at D1.

Most 2017 Teams very active or have a list to work from. Many Big East Schools are having Boys on unofficail visits, Boys are getting invited to College Football games and Basketball as well. Not just the ACC Schools the others are working in silence. You must put your Child in front of these Coaches they will not find you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is wrong about it?

What's wrong is that it is a form of cheating. It's been said over and over again. Only wealthy families can afford to do this. Do you even feel at all bad for the hardworking, well deserving kid who's roster spot you took? The kid who earned it legitimately? Guess not! We have to worry about the cheaters, they are hurting the integrity of the sport. but karma will happen eventually. Just remember, just because you can do something, does not mean you should! Play fair, so you don't have to live the rest of your life wondering if your kid was good enough to make it in life competing honestly, instead of breeding a culture of deception.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats to the boys!

Have a lovely day.

There are kids on that team that started school a year later than "normal" FACT!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is wrong about it?

What's wrong is that it is a form of cheating. It's been said over and over again. Only wealthy families can afford to do this. Do you even feel at all bad for the hardworking, well deserving kid who's roster spot you took? The kid who earned it legitimately? Guess not! We have to worry about the cheaters, they are hurting the integrity of the sport. but karma will happen eventually. Just remember, just because you can do something, does not mean you should! Play fair, so you don't have to live the rest of your life wondering if your kid was good enough to make it in life competing honestly, instead of breeding a culture of deception.

Are all the 2017 players that are committed "cheating"? Are they all older?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The issue becomes Timmy Reclassified gets a spot at Virginia - Tommy CorrectGrade goes to St John's (no - I am not putting St John's down there are few schools that are Virginia - just using it as a D1 Lax program)...who has the head start on a job interview? They gamed the system and it worked out - do they have to live with it - well I guess this is not the first game or system they manipulated so yeah, they will live with it, and after a UVA education and alumni connections, i would guess pretty well - so yes people are going to get upset

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
The issue becomes Timmy Reclassified gets a spot at Virginia - Tommy CorrectGrade goes to St John's (no - I am not putting St John's down there are few schools that are Virginia - just using it as a D1 Lax program)...who has the head start on a job interview? They gamed the system and it worked out - do they have to live with it - well I guess this is not the first game or system they manipulated so yeah, they will live with it, and after a UVA education and alumni connections, i would guess pretty well - so yes people are going to get upset
The alumni network conversation is a good one; this is a topic that we often discuss with families who are wondering what the value of a $50,000/year private institution might be over a $20,000/year state school or anything that ranges in the middle.

There are other points to consider in your example which only an individual family can adequately answer:
  • Timmy at Virginia struggles academically and graduates with a 2.8 GPA. Tommy at St. John's handles the lacrosse and academic balance with a 3.7 GPA. Who gets the nod if both are applying for the same job?
  • Timmy loved his time at UVA, but wants to return to the Northeast and settle in the New [lacrosse] tri-state area. What is the value of the UVA alumni network beyond Washington DC?
  • Tommy decides to quit lacrosse after two years to concentrate on a dual major. Academics can qualify for an additional discount at St. John's. Did he need lacrosse at all in his portfolio?
  • Due to lacrosse, Timmy needed an extra semester to complete his studies with the year-'round training load. If you look over four years, did the lacrosse scholarship really save anything?
This list of counter and counter-counter examples is longer than the Point-Counterpoint Segment on 60 Minutes. Our points are that when considering an institution, alumni network strength, long-term location, and financial considerations for athletics and academics are all part of the eventual equation.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is wrong about it?

Stop making sense. The whiners on this forum won't allow it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
The alumni network conversation is a good one; this is a topic that we often discuss with families who are wondering what the value of a $50,000/year private institution might be over a $20,000/year state school or anything that ranges in the middle.

There are other points to consider in your example which only an individual family can adequately answer:
  • Timmy at Virginia struggles academically and graduates with a 2.8 GPA. Tommy at St. John's handles the lacrosse and academic balance with a 3.7 GPA. Who gets the nod if both are applying for the same job?
  • Timmy loved his time at UVA, but wants to return to the Northeast and settle in the New [lacrosse] tri-state area. What is the value of the UVA alumni network beyond Washington DC?
  • Tommy decides to quit lacrosse after two years to concentrate on a dual major. Academics can qualify for an additional discount at St. John's. Did he need lacrosse at all in his portfolio?
  • Due to lacrosse, Timmy needed an extra semester to complete his studies with the year-'round training load. If you look over four years, did the lacrosse scholarship really save anything?
This list of counter and counter-counter examples is longer than the Point-Counterpoint Segment on 60 Minutes. Our points are that when considering an institution, alumni network strength, long-term location, and financial considerations for athletics and academics are all part of the eventual equation.

University of Virginia is a State School and and is considerred to be a Top 25 School.

St Johns University is a Private School and is ranked around 125.

The cost is about the same for both schools unless you are a resident of Verginia.

I think that given the choice I would select Verginia every time.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
University of Virginia is a State School and and is considerred to be a Top 25 School.

The cost is about the same for both schools unless you are a resident of Verginia.

The University of Virginia is estimated to be $26,200 per year for in-state residents and $54,000 per year for non-Virginia residents. Source : University of Virginia Web Site - Estimated Cost of Attendance

St. John's University cost of attendance is $44,000 per year for commuter students and $56,000 per year for on-campus students. Source : St. John's University Web Site - Estimated Cost of Attendance

However, those are the sticker prices. St. John's University had an average discount rate in excess of 40% in 2013-2014 which placed their real tuition costs in the $25,000-$30,000 per year range. The discount rate at the University of Virginia is not nearly as high.

Given the exclusive academic choice between the two, US News and World Reports would suggest UVA every time. If those were my only two choices, I would choose similarly. That said, BOTC was trying to point out other reasons, beyond the tuition bill, that might factor into a family's decision making.

Thank you for the contribution.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The University of Virginia is estimated to be $26,200 per year for in-state residents and $54,000 per year for non-Virginia residents. Source : University of Virginia Web Site - Estimated Cost of Attendance

St. John's University cost of attendance is $44,000 per year for commuter students and $56,000 per year for on-campus students. Source : St. John's University Web Site - Estimated Cost of Attendance

However, those are the sticker prices. St. John's University had an average discount rate in excess of 40% in 2013-2014 which placed their real tuition costs in the $25,000-$30,000 per year range. The discount rate at the University of Virginia is not nearly as high.

Given the exclusive academic choice between the two, US News and World Reports would suggest UVA every time. If those were my only two choices, I would choose similarly. That said, BOTC was trying to point out other reasons, beyond the tuition bill, that might factor into a family's decision making.

Thank you for the contribution.

Gotcha. Many many very good schools out there when the time comes I just hope my kids find a good fit.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed, however the original point is that some kids might not get the UVA offer because a cheating holback is going instead.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What if the only way you could get the choice is by deferring your start by a year?

I assume the answer is yes.

Holding your child back a year is not cheating. It is understanding how a system works and operating effectively in that system. If it didn't work, parents would either stop reclassifying their children or complain about those of us who are forcing our children to graduate HS on time.

I hate the system, but it is the only system we have.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The problem with the UVA, UNC, Hopkins oh they are great schools why wouldn't you go is that most, not all of the guy going there are not in that sphere of students. I know a guy who wound up being the team captain at UVA who had a 980 on the SAT and that wasn't too long ago.

Yes there are smart guys that go to those school who excel in the classroom and the lacrosse field. Maybe I have a poor sample, but I know a lot of ACC guys who went there for the lacrosse and haven't done a thing with the good degree.

I know that is anecdotal, but when I hear the UNC and UVA argument I generally have to call B.S. because at least the ones I have met and it is more than just a few were there only for the lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is about winning at the college level...which is why this goes on. If a "reclassified" kid gives a college coach a better chance, and the rules permit it, he is going to recruit him. I think it is ridiculous but the rules are the rules.

By the way, imagine if it were that way in the academic portion of school. Your kid ends his year with a 92 average but you want him to go Ivy so you are able to "reclassify" him and repeat the year to get that average up to a 98. That would be preposterous and not helpful in the end. On the athletics side of college, though, it is apparently ok. Again, the rules are the rules.....so people will run until they are tackled.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent points CSage - and if anyone thinks with the workload to play Division I lacrosse - AND - a top 50 education is going to be able to complete a degree in 4yrs...few and far between. So you can add an additional year to your costs - hopefully they do well enough in school have endeared themselves to the staff and can get a Grad Assistant position to help....

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
The problem with the UVA, UNC, Hopkins oh they are great schools why wouldn't you go is that most, not all of the guy going there are not in that sphere of students. I know a guy who wound up being the team captain at UVA who had a 980 on the SAT and that wasn't too long ago.

Yes there are smart guys that go to those school who excel in the classroom and the lacrosse field. Maybe I have a poor sample, but I know a lot of ACC guys who went there for the lacrosse and haven't done a thing with the good degree.

I know that is anecdotal, but when I hear the UNC and UVA argument I generally have to call B.S. because at least the ones I have met and it is more than just a few were there only for the lacrosse.
The point made in the opening paragraph is very insightful. Athletes do tend to attend a university in their athletic sphere which does not overlap in many cases with the regular student body. This indeed might impact their ability to leverage the alumni network after graduation and might also impact their peer network in the future.

That said, also remember that the athletic community at top university programs can be an extremely tight knit family. University gifting from athletics alumni can represent 30% and more of the annual gifting budget.

Page 29 of 70 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard