BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,228
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 116 of 327 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Look at the East Coast D1 colleges ranked from #90-#100 and cross reference with college board for the costs and SAT requirements.

Wagner $53,000 entry level SAT 1050
LI Brooklyn $50,000 SAT 770 (this one is totally unbelievable)
Saint Francis $43,000 SAT 910
Deleware State $30,000 SAT 820

That's some pretty big money for some pretty weak academics but it is D1

The school that recruited my daughter (top 20 lacrosse school last year) wanted 2100 minimum which might be on the other end of crazy, but she got them.

They all just want 2 part, not even a spot to fill in the 3rd part on the application. Northwesterns average SAT is 1460. Most kids can't get to that number using all 3 parts!

My daughter was being recruited by LIU Brooklyn coach said 950 MINIMUM SAT or a 20 ACT w a 19 in English and its 45,000 not 50

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look at the East Coast D1 colleges ranked from #90-#100 and cross reference with college board for the costs and SAT requirements.

Wagner $53,000 entry level SAT 1050
LI Brooklyn $50,000 SAT 770 (this one is totally unbelievable)
Saint Francis $43,000 SAT 910
Deleware State $30,000 SAT 820

That's some pretty big money for some pretty weak academics but it is D1

The school that recruited my daughter (top 20 lacrosse school last year) wanted 2100 minimum which might be on the other end of crazy, but she got them.

They all just want 2 part, not even a spot to fill in the 3rd part on the application. Northwesterns average SAT is 1460. Most kids can't get to that number using all 3 parts!

My daughter was being recruited by LIU Brooklyn coach said 950 MINIMUM SAT or a 20 ACT w a 19 in English and its 45,000 not 50
Well thats much better lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the tryout fee for YJ's?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

try out fee=(cost of a new escalade) / (number of girls trying out)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Now that's funny!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Originally Posted by CageSage
I will explain why the last poster is off the mark.
As you spend more time in the advanced lax years you will begin to hear the stories of coaches who pursue players and sign them and discover it's not a good fit for any number of reasons. These players end up miserable and often times drop out or transfer. Also, look at the coaching carousel currently in view at the women's D1 level and the amount of transfers taking place. I can not stress how important it is to choose the school FIRST. Lax is important but it must be secondary. This way if the coach leaves or they don't gel their love for the school will make their experience great.
Regarding the highlighted comment : BOTC agrees with this view and as a parent, the phone call will most often come home to you in this situation. This is why it is so critically important for the parents, not Carol Rose, Shannon Smith, or any of the other players, to be the critical contact point along with your student-athlete. When you get that first freshman year home-sickness call (and you more than likely will get that call), you will understand all you need to know.

Weighing as a parent of a D1 player (not lax), loving your school is the way to go. My daugther loved her school and came to really dislike her coach. Her collegiate athletic experience was pretty negative and she came to hate the sport she loved. I asked her more than once if she wanted to transfer but she refused -- because she loved her school and her teammates/friends. She stuck it out on the team for four years, her choice (and not one I probably would've made if I'd been in her shoes), but she did it because she was happy with everything at college except her coach.

She also had HS friends who played D1 lax, coaches left , one after recruting but before freshman year and another partway through college. Never make a choice based on the coach alone. Like your school first and foremost.

I commend and respect your daughter. I have heard so many times parents speak of "the best deal" rather than the best school. Also, don't push for the best academic school if your child doesn't has the smarts. That is a real recipe for disaster.

My daughter had great grades/test scores. She was contacted by great schools with lousy lacrosse programs; she was contacted by so-so schools with great programs. You ultimately have to make the choice academically and what is best for your child five years from now. We are all passionate about lacrosse, but lets face it, it's a niche sport. As with most female sports the college years are the last hurrah.
Bottom line is if your kid is lazy and dumber than dirt, none of this matters, because she won’t be accepted to any decent college. If by some chance she is, there is a 99% chance she won’t make it through the first semester because she won’t be able to keep up with the academic portion of the deal or handle the work load that is involved.

Yeah an when your princess gets to school and realizes you're not around to push her relentlessly, what then? Maybe she rebels, hangs out with the football team and gets a great education in bong hits and keg stands. Don't be so condescending, be a little humble and grateful for your good fortune. Many kids work real hard and may not get the same results as you're super kid. Be careful, life has a way of leveling the playing field. Remember, if it wasn't for lax your kid wouldn't be getting into most of these top schools. I assure you. 80 percent of non-athlete applicants to the Ivies have perfect SAT score and the highest GPA you can calculate at their HS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As you spend more time in the advanced lax years you will begin to hear the stories of coaches who pursue players and sign them and discover it's not a good fit for any number of reasons. These players end up miserable and often times drop out or transfer. Also, look at the coaching carousel currently in view at the women's D1 level and the amount of transfers taking place. I can not stress how important it is to choose the school FIRST. Lax is important but it must be secondary. This way if the coach leaves or they don't gel their love for the school will make their experience great.
Regarding the highlighted comment : BOTC agrees with this view and as a parent, the phone call will most often come home to you in this situation. This is why it is so critically important for the parents, not Carol Rose, Shannon Smith, or any of the other players, to be the critical contact point along with your student-athlete. When you get that first freshman year home-sickness call (and you more than likely will get that call), you will understand all you need to know.

Weighing as a parent of a D1 player (not lax), loving your school is the way to go. My daugther loved her school and came to really dislike her coach. Her collegiate athletic experience was pretty negative and she came to hate the sport she loved. I asked her more than once if she wanted to transfer but she refused -- because she loved her school and her teammates/friends. She stuck it out on the team for four years, her choice (and not one I probably would've made if I'd been in her shoes), but she did it because she was happy with everything at college except her coach.

She also had HS friends who played D1 lax, coaches left , one after recruting but before freshman year and another partway through college. Never make a choice based on the coach alone. Like your school first and foremost.

I commend and respect your daughter. I have heard so many times parents speak of "the best deal" rather than the best school. Also, don't push for the best academic school if your child doesn't has the smarts. That is a real recipe for disaster.

My daughter had great grades/test scores. She was contacted by great schools with lousy lacrosse programs; she was contacted by so-so schools with great programs. You ultimately have to make the choice academically and what is best for your child five years from now. We are all passionate about lacrosse, but lets face it, it's a niche sport. As with most female sports the college years are the last hurrah.
Bottom line is if your kid is lazy and dumber than dirt, none of this matters, because she won’t be accepted to any decent college. If by some chance she is, there is a 99% chance she won’t make it through the first semester because she won’t be able to keep up with the academic portion of the deal or handle the work load that is involved.

Yeah an when your princess gets to school and realizes you're not around to push her relentlessly, what then? Maybe she rebels, hangs out with the football team and gets a great education in bong hits and keg stands. Don't be so condescending, be a little humble and grateful for your good fortune. Many kids work real hard and may not get the same results as you're super kid. Be careful, life has a way of leveling the playing field. Remember, if it wasn't for lax your kid wouldn't be getting into most of these top schools. I assure you. 80 percent of non-athlete applicants to the Ivies have perfect SAT score and the highest GPA you can calculate at their HS.
best post ever. and remember this super parents, this is a excerpt of an interview with one of those lesser talented players that you look down your nose at

Pannell failed to make varsity as a freshman at Smithtown because at barely over 5 feet he was too small and was a late bloomer three years later. If anything, he's the perfect example of how early recruiting by college coaches can sometimes really backfire.

''I matured late physically,'' said Pannell, who was 17 when he graduated from high school. ''In my junior year in high school I had 70 points, which was a pretty good season, and then my senior year I had 130. I turned into a completely different player, but with recruiting these days, by the time you're a senior everyone knows where they're going already.''

Pannell thought he knew where he was going, too - Quinnipiac had offered him a partial scholarship. He committed, changed his mind, then was stymied when Quinnipiac wouldn't release him.

''He was a home run for them,'' Pannell's dad, Robert, said. ''We tried everything, but they were not going to release him.''

So the family turned to prep school, and by chance Deerfield Academy in Massachusetts had one bed available - for a point guard in basketball. Pannell, who had been the starting point guard at Smithtown, was given that final slot and played nearly every minute of every basketball game. He also set the school record for points in a season with 99 for the lacrosse team.

Two of Pannell's Deerfield classmates signed with Cornell, and former Big Red head coach Jeff Tambroni had room for one more player. They suggested Pannell, he sent a highlight tape, and a week after watching it Tambroni signed Pannell without ever seeing him play in person.

That tape sure didn't lie.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Now that's funny!

Agreed!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who is condescending in this thread? Looks like good, honest information to me.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You have to love the school and want to be there if you never play another game or the $5k a year partial dries up.

It makes me cringe everytime I hear a dad say his kid got a partial ride to a school that accepts kids with an 850 2 part SAT and the list cost for the college is $48,000.

To get $5k to go a glorified overpriced BOCES program is a joke.

Go to a good school with a good fit and if the Lax works out, all the better

Funny but one of my older Daughters did not play Lacrosse, she did go to BOCES, she did graduate with honors, she did play the Cello and she did go to Cornell.

A friends son went to BOCES, graduated with Honors and because of it is at the Air Force Academy.

Sounds like two pretty good "Glorified BOCES" programs to me.

If BOCES was going start a course on how to put your foot in your mouth you would clearly be the frontrunner for the Instructors position there.
Your view of BOCES is interesting though, it is not quite unlike what most people think of us "Loud Mouth" YJ parents, thanks for making us look bad, I am sure you will keep up the good work.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nothing condescending here. Lazy parents make lazy kids. If your kids see you taking short cuts through life, they’re going to do the same and 99% of the time the results aren’t favorable. There’s nothing wrong with pushing your child to succeed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there anyone who paid the $1500 recruiting fee to the Long Island Yellow Jackets organization for recruiting purposes? Was it helpful?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there anyone who paid the $1500 recruiting fee to the Long Island Yellow Jackets organization for recruiting purposes? Was it helpful?

It's a joke, that she charges that fee....

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Some two years back, BOTC was specifically told that less than ten student-athletes per year from outside the Yellow Jackets program would get involved with their recruiting service.

As for effectiveness, that response will need to come from consumers of the service. That said, the procedures enumerated both on the BOTC College Forum and the BOTN College Forum (for free) will certainly arm parents with the necessary tools to take a very proactive role in their child's recruitment process.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

BOTC disagrees. If consumers view the service as value-for-money, the fee is not a joke.

The problem is that those paying are not sufficiently educating themselves on the college recruiting process. That is the "joke".

(Translation : The charge is not the joke; people paying it is the joke. Big difference.)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BOTC disagrees. If consumers view the service as value-for-money, the fee is not a joke.

The problem is that those paying are not sufficiently educating themselves on the college recruiting process. That is the "joke".

(Translation : The charge is not the joke; people paying it is the joke. Big difference.)

Good point. You're right...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You have to love the school and want to be there if you never play another game or the $5k a year partial dries up.

It makes me cringe everytime I hear a dad say his kid got a partial ride to a school that accepts kids with an 850 2 part SAT and the list cost for the college is $48,000.

Funny but one of my older Daughters did not play Lacrosse, she did go to BOCES, she did graduate with honors, she did play the Cello and she did go to Cornell.

A friends son went to BOCES, graduated with Honors and because of it is at the Air Force Academy.

If BOCES was going start a course on how to put your foot in your mouth you would clearly be the frontrunner for the Instructors position there.
Your view of BOCES is interesting though, it is not quite unlike what most people think of us "Loud Mouth" YJ parents, thanks for making us look bad, I am sure you will keep up the good work.

More foolish talk. Not everyone player can attend an Ivy, top 20 school, etc. As long as she is happy; should it matter where she goes. The braggadocio is sickening!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just an ignorant person.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So take out the BOCES refernce keep in the $50,000 per year school with SAT scores of kids that can barely read and write so they can say they got a partial. Sounds like money would have been better spent on tutors.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So take out the BOCES refernce keep in the $50,000 per year school with SAT scores of kids that can barely read and write so they can say they got a partial. Sounds like money would have been better spent on tutors.

Better spent on Tutors or maybe sending them to BOCES as there are many majors where that would help and BOCES is free.
If some parent wants to send their kid to a $50k a year School and say they got a partial that is their business and I would'nt worry as there a plenty of $100,000 / year Grad Schools that will take them afterward. Eventually the real world will be waiting for them and possibly their Student Loans for 20 years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about the players Inside the YJ organization? Was it worth it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is 212 Lax the next Top Guns? I thought the CR death grip was iron clad after getting burned by those who have trained and learned the business model and then started their own club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is 212 Lax the next Top Guns? I thought the CR death grip was iron clad after getting burned by those who have trained and learned the business model and then started their own club.

If they build up massive numbers and become recognized and win the national championship, they will be. Easier said than done. There are tons of programs out there, but it is hard to put together a competitive program top to bottom as they will all tell you. At this point the top programs are YJ, TG, liberty on LI, it pretty much stops there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Better spent on Tutors or maybe sending them to BOCES as there are many majors where that would help and BOCES is free.
If some parent wants to send their kid to a $50k a year School and say they got a partial that is their business and I would'nt worry as there a plenty of $100,000 / year Grad Schools that will take them afterward. Eventually the real world will be waiting for them and possibly their Student Loans for 20 years.

Not all $50,000 schools are equal. Schools with huge endowments can offer much more in financial aide grants leaving a graduate with little or no debt. In addition any top school, whether it is a major university or national liberal arts school, such as an Ivy or Little Ivy, and you have a strong alumni that hires from their schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who or what is 212 Lax?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Not all $50,000 schools are equal. Schools with huge endowments can offer much more in financial aide grants leaving a graduate with little or no debt. In addition any top school, whether it is a major university or national liberal arts school, such as an Ivy or Little Ivy, and you have a strong alumni that hires from their schools.
Do not draw the conclusion that the schools in the US N&WR Top 40 (wherein many of the Ivies and "New Ivies" live) are itching to divest themselves of their endowment dollars in order to cover academic financial aid or grants. Also, your claim of graduating with little or no debt is inaccurate. Let's take you through the numbers.

Be aware that once you move down the ladder (below HYPS with their $20B endowments), many of the schools have endowments significantly less than $2B. An institution that can afford a 3% payout from the endowment (which is high) will be able to make at most $60M available for all four classes of undergraduates and all graduate students.

Using your $50,000 per year number, this would mean that only 1,200 students in total would be on a full grant and all others at the campus will be without funding.

That comes down to 300 students per undergraduate class assuming no graduate awards.

There is this uninformed view by too many parents that grants, academic awards, athletic awards, and financial aid is just dripping from the campus trees to cover your child's education bills. Be very aware what a $50,000 per year price tag really means for your family.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do not draw the conclusion that the schools in the US N&WR Top 40 (wherein many of the Ivies and "New Ivies" live) are itching to divest themselves of their endowment dollars in order to cover academic financial aid or grants. Also, your claim of graduating with little or no debt is inaccurate. Let's take you through the numbers.

Be aware that once you move down the ladder (below HYPS with their $20B endowments), many of the schools have endowments significantly less than $2B. An institution that can afford a 3% payout from the endowment (which is high) will be able to make at most $60M available for all four classes of undergraduates and all graduate students.

Using your $50,000 per year number, this would mean that only 1,200 students in total would be on a full grant and all others at the campus will be without funding.

That comes down to 300 students per undergraduate class assuming no graduate awards.

There is this uninformed view by too many parents that grants, academic awards, athletic awards, and financial aid is just dripping from the campus trees to cover your child's education bills. Be very aware what a $50,000 per year price tag really means for your family.

If you live on LI, can afford YJ's or travel lacrosse you will get no aid. You may qualify for some academic money but they keep raising that bar. I am all for paying for a top flight education call it the $50k school but not for a school that is letting kids in with a 900 SAT...that is far from a top school whether a kid plays lacrosse or not..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your math is actually right on. Taking away the larger Ivies with the huge endowments, the "Little Ivies" rarely exceed enrollments of 1800-2000 total or 450-500 per class. There are folks with income that don't need/want financial assistance. So a 1200 number receiving financial assistance in the form of scholarships/grants etc. is about right. 100% for all? Probably not. But if your child is academically successful (still hard to get in, lacrosse or not) it can be a much more successful future than choosing a school with a lesser reputation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your math is actually right on. Taking away the larger Ivies with the huge endowments, the "Little Ivies" rarely exceed enrollments of 1800-2000 total or 450-500 per class. There are folks with income that don't need/want financial assistance. So a 1200 number receiving financial assistance in the form of scholarships/grants etc. is about right. 100% for all? Probably not. But if your child is academically successful (still hard to get in, lacrosse or not) it can be a much more successful future than choosing a school with a lesser reputation.

who are these little ivies that you speak of?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Remember that the discussion usually involves the "New Ivies", not just the "Little Ivies". The smaller schools are nowhere near the $2B endowment number (Boston College with 9,000 undergraduates and 4,500 graduate students for example is currently at $1.7B).

New Ivies
Boston College
Bowdoin College
Carnegie Mellon
Claremont Colleges (Harvey Mudd, Pomona)
Colby College
Colgate University
Davidson College
Emory University
Kenyon College
Macalester College
University of Michigan
New [lacrosse] University
University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
University of Notre Dame
Olin College of Engineering
Reed College
Rensselear Polytechnic Institute
Rice University
University of Rochester
Skidmore College
Tufts University
University of California (Los Angeles)
Venderbilt University
University of Virginia
Washington University (St. Louis)

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
who are these little ivies that you speak of?
The Little Ivies are the smaller liberal arts schools most often associated with the NESCAC although the term now expands beyond those boundaries.

Little Ivies
Amherst College
Bates College
Bowdoin College
Colby College
Colgate University
Connecticut College
Hamilton College
Haverford College
Middlebury College
Swarthmore College
Trinity College
Tufts University
Vassar College
Wesleyan University
Williams College

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Although there have been others who have tried to start their own Club, I think SS is the only one who has had real success. I think Carro tried a few years ago, but failed miserably and wound up back at YJ. Let’s see how long 212 lasts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who or what is 212 Lax?
Some yj coaches runninng a new training company. Do I have to do these clinics or the YJ's? does the coach pick the team or does the YJ's? I need to support whoever the final decision maker is

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Is 212 Lax the next Top Guns? I thought the CR death grip was iron clad after getting burned by those who have trained and learned the business model and then started their own club.

Who or what is 212 Lax?
Some yj coaches runninng a new training company. Do I have to do these clinics or the YJ's? does the coach pick the team or does the YJ's? I need to support whoever the final decision maker is

Where is 212 Lax based out of?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Although there have been others who have tried to start their own Club, I think SS is the only one who has had real success. I think Carro tried a few years ago, but failed miserably and wound up back at YJ. Let’s see how long 212 lasts.

This young lady has been running training sessions for the last couple of years. It is a far cry from running your own lacrosse club. With all the clubs forming and the amount of money being thrown around, who could blame her for starting one if she chose to. She is an excellent coach, has a large following, and is extremely motivated. It would be tough but I think she could be successful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This young lady has been running training sessions for the last couple of years. It is a far cry from running your own lacrosse club. With all the clubs forming and the amount of money being thrown around, who could blame her for starting one if she chose to. She is an excellent coach, has a large following, and is extremely motivated. It would be tough but I think she could be successful.

What is 212 Lax and who is running it?? Where is tryout info

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just curious why do the YJ send their 2021, 2020 teams to showcase tournaments? What are they show casing at this age?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is 212 Lax and who is running it?? Where is tryout info

So CR allows it when the training runs up against Jackets fall clinics? Who picks her team? Her or the Jackets at tryouts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bertalone starting a travel club? True or false?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No Chance!

Like Reply Quote
Page 116 of 327 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 326 327
Quick Reply