BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,788
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: National Draw Brackets and Discussion
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They have age levels for youth because they are KIDS and are not being recruited. For HS, you have to go by grade because that is how college coaches need to recruit. In each HS grade, some kids are older, some are younger. That's life - get over it.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So you believe that a child who gets held back 2 years should play at her graduation age not her actual age thus rewarding the kids who have parents that abuse the system. That being said this is why I stated "at least at the younger age".As they get older such as high school age that 1-2 year difference in age is not as great physically as it is in the younger age groups.Too confusing for recruitment, then how is it every other sport has a cutoff age level, u15 should mean under 15 not I play with 14 year olds even though I am 16 years old but my parents held me back to gain an advantage.

I really do not think there are very many girls who have been held back 2 years. That seems pretty extreme.
On my daughters team there is a mix of 9th and tenth graders (some very big) because the cut off is August 1st? Is that fair? Shouldn't all girls born in the same year play together?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I agree the August 1st cut-off day is wonky. The thing is, any cut-off date is somewhat arbitrary. Every school district, for instance, uses different cut-off dates for new kindergartners. I think I could get behind a birth year cut-off.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
I agree the August 1st cut-off day is wonky. The thing is, any cut-off date is somewhat arbitrary. Every school district, for instance, uses different cut-off dates for new kindergartners. I think I could get behind a birth year cut-off.
Regardless of whether the "break date" is January 1st or August 1st, the fact is that soccer maintains through the USYSA a very rigid and well constructed player pass system. In the system, the player is tied to one team within one club for the seasonal year (except for the midseason transfer window). Soccer maintains the August 1st-July 31st seasonal year due to the structure of the State Cups (often, May/June), regionals (June/July), and national championships (end July, just before the start of tne new seasonal year).

Yes, soccer is looking at systems such as the recent proposal from USCS that allows the player pass to be allocated to the associated club rather than binding a player to one team.

Lacrosse is screaming for a similar methodology as a first step to what the USCS has proposed. At very least, a player picture together with a birthdate would be a major step forward as opposed to using simply the honor system in place at this time.

Lacrosse has "grown up" in the last ten years - the US Lacrosse foundation provided needs to grow with the growth of the sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Regardless of whether the "break date" is January 1st or August 1st, the fact is that soccer maintains through the USYSA a very rigid and well constructed player pass system. In the system, the player is tied to one team within one club for the seasonal year (except for the midseason transfer window). Soccer maintains the August 1st-July 31st seasonal year due to the structure of the State Cups (often, May/June), regionals (June/July), and national championships (end July, just before the start of tne new seasonal year).

Yes, soccer is looking at systems such as the recent proposal from USCS that allows the player pass to be allocated to the associated club rather than binding a player to one team.

Lacrosse is screaming for a similar methodology as a first step to what the USCS has proposed. At very least, a player picture together with a birthdate would be a major step forward as opposed to using simply the honor system in place at this time.

Lacrosse has "grown up" in the last ten years - the US Lacrosse foundation provided needs to grow with the growth of the sport.

Why does anybody care who plays on what team? Isn't this supposed to be about being seen?

Do people really think that parents are holding their kids back so that they have an advantage in girls lacrosse? This would be a 4 or 5 year girls we're talking about. I think some people should lay off the Oliver Stone films...

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
" Soccer's cutoff date in LIJ is August 1. How does that resolve the issue?"It resolves the issue when a cutoff date for age groups is made in that you will have less then 1 year difference in age betwwen players unless someone elects to play up in age.Using year of birth just simplifies it to me.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes being held back 2 years would be extreme .However if your school uses august as a cut-off as I belive many schools in nj and maryland do as opposed to long island where december is used then over a 2 year age difference between players on opposing teams happens more often.
August birthday 1996 child held back 1 year equals 2016 year of graduation for most maryland schools.
October 1998 birthday equals 2016 graduation for most long island kids.
So by a child being held back 1 year makes that child more than 2 years older then many of her competition.Nota level playing field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why does anybody care who plays on what team? Isn't this supposed to be about being seen?

Do people really think that parents are holding their kids back so that they have an advantage in girls lacrosse? This would be a 4 or 5 year girls we're talking about. I think some people should lay off the Oliver Stone films...

AHH you live in LA-La land. One thing is to be seen and another is being fair. there are "clubs" out there that play there teams down age bracket and also have kids who are older playing on a younger team. they do this so they can show how many of there teams WON the tourny's and how great their club is by doing this move. If you think this does not happen....you are in La-La land. If the playing field is equal in all aspects, I think you would see a lot of teams going down and others moving up in the tourny's.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Do people really think that parents are holding their kids back so that they have an advantage in girls lacrosse? This would be a 4 or 5 year girls we're talking about.
The topic in question involves the creation of audited age groups which are checked via authenticated, centrally-issued passes.

Since you do not care who plays on which team, you should have no issue with age-group brackets being created and player passes being created that prevent a player from playing-down in age level.

Again, the discussion is not about showcasing, but the creation of age validated teams.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
AHH you live in LA-La land. One thing is to be seen and another is being fair. there are "clubs" out there that play there teams down age bracket and also have kids who are older playing on a younger team. they do this so they can show how many of there teams WON the tourny's and how great their club is by doing this move. If you think this does not happen....you are in La-La land. If the playing field is equal in all aspects, I think you would see a lot of teams going down and others moving up in the tourny's.
One of the things that lacrosse does "well" is the mixing of two age groups in some tournaments to create more balanced competition. This is rarely seen in soccer to its own youth development detriment. Creating "two year" age bracket tournaments is one of youth lacrosse's strengths.

However, we do point out that the player pass issue is independent from the structure of the brackets. What you do want to avoid is a club gaming the system by playing players or a whole team "down" for no good reason.

Coming back to the soccer point, the only time BOTC/BOTN can recall having seen age-group mixing on a regular basis was the East Meadow Covanta Cup flight which matched premier level U/16 and up teams. This mixing is more often seen in lacrosse and is actually an overall positive for development.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard