BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,300
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 32 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32
Re: Boys 2021 - 8th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
There are countless studies that support this. Not only as adults but also as kids there are self-esteem issues and many other long term issues that result. An older kid looks and acts different compared to younger kids in his grade. Also you are telling your kid he can't compete with kids his own age. The mind is very complicated. The seeds you plant indirectly by holding back are harmful. Find this study below and go on the internet and search some of these terms and you will see holding back results in many problems.

2003 "Position Statement on Student Grade Retention," the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)concluded:

* Academic achievement of kids who are retained is poorer than that of peers who are promoted.
* Achievement gains associated with retention fade within two to three years after the grade repeated.
* Retention often is associated with increased behavior problems.
* Grade retention has a negative impact on all areas of a child's achievement (reading, math, and language) and socio-emotional adjustment (peer relationships, self-esteem, problem behaviors, and attendance).

Each parent has to make choices that are best for their own kid. The question is most parents have no clue on what is best and listen to a lacrosse coach instead of doctors and school professionals when they hold a kid back. Holding back a kid may make a kid stand out more on the lacrosse field but it comes with a price. Hold backs or kids that are reclassified for sports based on studies have a higher rate of psychological problems as adults and are less successful. They may get instant rewards by making a better college but that benefit according to studies is short lived as the kid gets older and has to deal with real life issues. Also the college they get into as a holdback may be upgraded had they not been held back but the major they are forced to take is almost always useless. There are no short cuts in life. In fact short cuts most of the time will backfire.

There are no studies to support that statement. You just made that up. Nice try.

And that study had to do with disadvantaged inner city students. Again show me the study that shows hold back lacrosse players suffering from these things. The vast majority of lacrosse players are upper middle class or wealthy. Sorry but the rich kid hold back doesn't suffer from your BS. Just accept the fact that hold backs are there and move on. No hold back has ever had an impact on my son. As a matter of fact I don't know a single holdback and I live in one of the largest public school districts in Long Island. Where are these hold backs?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
where is your empirical data about "the vast majority..."?
you are doing exactly what you are complaining about.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hold backs are kids that their parents and club coach realize are got the top kid in their class. So they hold back a year, but talent wise they will always be second teir.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
where is your empirical data about "the vast majority..."?
you are doing exactly what you are complaining about.

You are correct, I speak only from what I see, and I see no maladjusted holdbacks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if a hold back is in 8th grade and summer 2017 comes along and he has his drivers license and your son doesn't have a ride to the two a day practices his club coach is holding , would you allow your rising freshman to get into the car with another rising freshman who is legal to drive ??

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if a hold back is in 8th grade and summer 2017 comes along and he has his drivers license and your son doesn't have a ride to the two a day practices his club coach is holding , would you allow your rising freshman to get into the car with another rising freshman who is legal to drive ??

If you were the only other option, probably.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And this question is relevant to the topic at hand how?!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

in NY, at least, cant do that - at 16 - then your talking a 17 year old rising freshman then your on drugs. and couldnt compete in the later years of HS due to being to old... blowing [lacrosse] up just to try to prove a point.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Obvious this hit a sore spot psycho mom as this topic swings from your big family move over to a holdback who will be driving in 9th grade , either case he may be driving your son to practice as that will be one more position taken as well narrowing down the roster to a fight what Long time permanent resident will be able to crack the 2nd lline .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In our town we've had more than one family rent a house to enroll their kid in our school system. They rented out their house and will go back to where they came from when their son graduates HS. Sad.

Why is it sad for a family to move to a (what I assume you to mean "better") school district while their kids are in school? Do you believe that you are fundamentally entitled to have your kids go to a different public school than someone that legally resides in your district? If so, what is the criteria for your discrimination? Again, you are saying it is sad for a legal resident to go to the "public" school in your district, which became their district when they began legally residing in the house that they rent. If you think you are better than another citizen, for whatever reason, than you may be the saddest example of an American that I have ever seen on this forum. Despite some of the contentious debate that goes on among us lacrosse people, this is the first time I have ever seen anyone actually randomly promote discrimination on this site. You, sir or madam, are sad.

Its sad that parents would uproot an entire family so that their son can play lacrosse at a "powerhouse" school for 3 years. The two daughters had to leave their friends behind. How am I discriminating?

Still angry the Crook lost? OBVIOUSLY, this is a lacrosse forum and the post was set in that context. Parents uproot family to attend a "powerhouse" HS........FOR LACROSSE. You really couldn't make that leap?

Seeing as how most "powerhouse" lacrosse schools are also very good high schools (Manhasset, Garden City, Cold Spring Harbor, Ward Melville, etc.), seems like a pretty good way to game the system -- paying a few years worth of rent is far, far cheaper than the ~$1 million or so entry fee for many of these towns.

Its not costing them much as they are renting out their own home in the other town. Frankly, I think its BS, but I guess I'm discriminating against someone by saying that?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Obvious this hit a sore spot psycho mom as this topic swings from your big family move over to a holdback who will be driving in 9th grade , either case he may be driving your son to practice as that will be one more position taken as well narrowing down the roster to a fight what Long time permanent resident will be able to crack the 2nd lline .

Usually the holdbacks are well off, so if he gets in an accident while driving my son I will sue! Make sure the Umbrella Policy is paid before your kid gets in the car.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In our town we've had more than one family rent a house to enroll their kid in our school system. They rented out their house and will go back to where they came from when their son graduates HS. Sad.

Why is it sad for a family to move to a (what I assume you to mean "better") school district while their kids are in school? Do you believe that you are fundamentally entitled to have your kids go to a different public school than someone that legally resides in your district? If so, what is the criteria for your discrimination? Again, you are saying it is sad for a legal resident to go to the "public" school in your district, which became their district when they began legally residing in the house that they rent. If you think you are better than another citizen, for whatever reason, than you may be the saddest example of an American that I have ever seen on this forum. Despite some of the contentious debate that goes on among us lacrosse people, this is the first time I have ever seen anyone actually randomly promote discrimination on this site. You, sir or madam, are sad.

Its sad that parents would uproot an entire family so that their son can play lacrosse at a "powerhouse" school for 3 years. The two daughters had to leave their friends behind. How am I discriminating?

Still angry the Crook lost? OBVIOUSLY, this is a lacrosse forum and the post was set in that context. Parents uproot family to attend a "powerhouse" HS........FOR LACROSSE. You really couldn't make that leap?

Seeing as how most "powerhouse" lacrosse schools are also very good high schools (Manhasset, Garden City, Cold Spring Harbor, Ward Melville, etc.), seems like a pretty good way to game the system -- paying a few years worth of rent is far, far cheaper than the ~$1 million or so entry fee for many of these towns.

Its not costing them much as they are renting out their own home in the other town. Frankly, I think its BS, but I guess I'm discriminating against someone by saying that?

Yes, you are correct, you are spouting discrimination. People move freely within the USA, whether it be for education, work, or they just freaking feel like trying something different.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Discrimination"? You might want to look up that word - I don't think it means what you think it does!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What tournaments are your travel teams doing this summer? So far, my son's team is doing:
NYLA
LI Lax Fest
Shore Point Classic
Young Guns
NLF Summer Championship

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like the 9d1 double reclass won't be the 1st '21 recruit. Looks like someone beat him to it today, a reclass beating a reclass, lol, can't make this garbage up!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody play in the MLK Lacrosse tournament in Sayville? Good day, Bad day? Results?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like the 9d1 double reclass won't be the 1st '21 recruit. Looks like someone beat him to it today, a reclass beating a reclass, lol, can't make this garbage up!
Who? What School?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who committed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who? What School?

Ty talking about it, didn't say the school

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who? What School?

Boston U. True 2020 11/2001 DOB

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First 2021 player commited in the Fall. He is a true 2021 with a birth year 2003. So these Reclass/Holdbacks were not first.

Who? What School?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry but born 11/2001 should be a 2019. Being born 11/2001 is a holdback and then later a Reclass or double holdback. True 2020 cutoff birth date is 12/2001 and after. What a joke.
quote=Anonymous]
Who? What School?

Boston U. True 2020 11/2001 DOB [/quote]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First 2021 player commited in the Fall. He is a true 2021 with a birth year 2003. So these Reclass/Holdbacks were not first.

Who? What School?

A 2001 birthdate for a 2021 is pathetic. The player's club is actually publicing the commitment on twitter. It is bad enough that most of the dominant 2021 players are born in 2002 but a 2001 birthdate is new low. Some people have no shame. Guess all you with kids taller then both their parents at "13" better commit now..........

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2001 birthdate is a 2020 or 2019. What a joke.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True 2021 commit from WHERE ? DON'T BELIEVE IT ....CALLING BS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True. Player from a top team. . Not Igloo. Not Blaze. Not Express. The director with many conections is coming through for his kids. It is not my place to announce it here but ask around.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True. Player from a top team. . Not Igloo. Not Blaze. Not Express. The director with many conections is coming through for his kids. It is not my place to announce it here but ask around.

MY doesn't have holdbacks all there kids are actually 1-2 years younger...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Did check around, no such thing, previous poster correct calling BS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MY doesn't have holdbacks all there kids are actually 1-2 years younger...

What? Please clarify.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you are not asking the correct people. After you talk to some Icon parents or director you will find if it is true. It seems that parents made the wrong choice in going with a top team for all that money. Icon kids getting looks for half the price.

Did check around, no such thing, previous poster correct calling BS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ooks are different from commitments ----- lots of kids are getting looks from all clubs 2021 not sure what you are speaking of kids on Blaze are getting looks and all other top teams . Just be happy nobody is hating but committed and looks are 2 entirely different things

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Icon is a great program, but way too far to go to from Suffolk. My kid wouldn't know what to do with a college offer at this point. No rush, plenty of time. Nobody watches a college game and say, wow, that player committed in 8th grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the icon kid committed in 8th grade winter to OSU did this director "realllllly" do his job. I would vote NO

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He had three offers. Not sure which one he took. It depends on the kid if it was a good move or not. It is a good problem to have.

quote=Anonymous]If the icon kid committed in 8th grade winter to OSU did this director "realllllly" do his job. I would vote NO [/quote]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes. The director helps get offers. It is the parents job with the kid to accept or reject any offer. Looks like the icon parents made the right choice in picking a program. There are better players out there not getting offers while the icon kids are.

If the icon kid committed in 8th grade winter to OSU did this director "realllllly" do his job. I would vote NO

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You don't need club lacrosse to get offers. Go to Prospect camps. And bring your grades with you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the difference it you coming in 8th or 9th? This is a real question

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Icon kid DIDNOT commit to OSU.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop the nonsense. The top players will end up playing big time D1 lacrosse regardless of the club they play for. There are enough opportunities for college coaches to see those players. The real question is how many other players on a given club team end up playing college lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Big clubs are a joke, if you can play they will find you. Long Island Tide 2017, over 20 D1 commits.

Page 17 of 32 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard