Originally Posted by Anonymous
Agreed, if US Lacrosse was serious about player safety at the youth level, US Lacrosse should not insure grade based leagues and tournaments

US Lacrosse does not sanction grade based teams, but it effectively does facilitate grade based teams by providing insurance to grade base leagues and tournaments.

US Lacrosse cannot have it both ways: it cannot insist that it discourages grade based leagues and tournaments on the basis of player safety and then support those same leagues and tournaments by providing insurance. Are the premiums the same for both grade based and aged base leagues and tournaments to reflect the additional risk? If not, the age based leagues and tournaments are likely subsidizing the grade based leagues and tournaments.

Stenersen's quote is self serving. He seems to be suggesting that it is up to the parents. How does that work if the league your son plays in goes grade based? If I read the quote correctly my choice is simply to let my son play lacrosse or not and US Lacrosse is absolved from any responsibility for not providing any leadership on a core concern relating to player safety at the youth level.

US Lacrosse was advocating a two year system based on age. Now the leagues are trending towards a single year system based on grade. While this will occasionally include a couple kids 1 year older that are held back, it is in general a safer system than the two year system. Kids (and smart parents) will play up to challenge themselves until they get to high school anyway.